Transmission jumping out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The searching for gears is likely the solenoids having bad connections. Like FT1 mentioned, the particles floating around in the fluid can cause the solenoids to short/ground out causing miss shifts/lack of shifts.
The TC was the main issue with mine, so yes a billet one helps get that power down. I did not do the input shaft, just did exedy HD clutch packs a converter.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop that I took my truck to said that the oil didn't look that bad. Went ahead and changed the oil and filter. No change. Still popping out of gear under any considerable amount of load.

Tomorrow - I need to decide the path that I'm going to take. Circle D and MS Racing (Brett LaSala in FL) are both in the same ballpark. $4200 for rebuild to a stage 2 transmission - Supposed to handle 1200 rwhp.

@FordTechOne @Canuck714 - Here is what I need guidance on. If I get the clutch kit and billet input shaft from Circle D, is it likely that I will need anything else? valve body solenoids, etc? Lead frame?

I am under the impression that "everything else" would be gone through at the transmission shop that I choose to send my tranny to. I sure don't want to have it rebuilt local, install, then have to take it back out and have it out for more time due to needing parts.

I'm open to all suggestions here on the direction that I go.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne @Canuck714 - Here is what I need guidance on. If I get the clutch kit and billet input shaft from Circle D, is it likely that I will need anything else? valve body solenoids, etc? Lead frame?

I am under the impression that "everything else" would be gone through at the transmission shop that I choose to send my tranny to. I sure don't want to have it rebuilt local, install, then have to take it back out and have it out for more time due to needing parts.

The transmission shop should go through everything during the rebuild. Just make sure you convey that you’re not just looking to have the upgraded parts installed, you need a full rebuild.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last oddity that I would like to throw out there. When this first started to occur, my dash lights 654321 and PRND etc all would flash when the truck would come out of gear under load.

Add that to the oil was dark, but not burnt and no particles obvious in the pan….

Anything more to think about on that?

No CEL and no codes related to TCM in Forscan.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One last oddity that I would like to throw out there. When this first started to occur, my dash lights 654321 and PRND etc all would flash when the truck would come out of gear under load.
Any time those flash there should be DTCs stored.
Add that to the oil was dark, but not burnt and no particles obvious in the pan….

Anything more to think about on that?

No CEL and no codes related to TCM in Forscan.
Did you run a self test on the TCM?

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were no DTC's. A couple for the TCCM, but it did shift into 4H, 4L and back to 2H. I suspect the little motor, but no visible damage to the wires or harness plug. I'll ask the shop to do a self test with the TCM and to double check for any DTC's. Will report findings later.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The shop that I took my truck to said that the oil didn't look that bad. Went ahead and changed the oil and filter. No change. Still popping out of gear under any considerable amount of load.

Tomorrow - I need to decide the path that I'm going to take. Circle D and MS Racing (Brett LaSala in FL) are both in the same ballpark. $4200 for rebuild to a stage 2 transmission - Supposed to handle 1200 rwhp.

I'll reiterate what FT1 said... You need to get everything rebuilt, top to bottom - front to back.
I would definitely replace the complete Leadframe assembly, as that is what I think is causing the trans from falling out of gear.

If you do not have confidence in a local shop then buy a complete unit from someone you trust. Make sure it contains the new leadframe and solenoids, and have a warranty.

For the converter I went with; I don't remember part number ... but there is a guy that works there that's a Raptor guy and he will know what ya need.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with MS Racing. The shop should have my transmission pulled this week. MS Racing has the rebuild kit on order ($4200). That's for a build that SHOULD be able to hold 1200 RWHP.
I went with Circle D on their torque converter. The 6R80 Pro Series Multi 265MM 1A Cost: $1429
Shop quoted $1000 R&R tranny
Freight is the next thing to figure out.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission is out and on it's way to Florida. I shipped it to them via Fedex freight and used our work account. It's so messed up on how big businesses get such a discount. I first checked on pricing as a freight pickup as residential customer. No lift gate. $538 estimate. Shipping through fedex at work, $118, one way priority to FL. I am hoping to be back on the road around mid-June.