Transmission jumping out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2014 Screw with 6.6L, whipple, lots of boost and E85. I finally got things together and bought a 16’ +4’ dove tail trailer to pull my hellcat on.

I strapped it on the trailer and headed to my tuner before I start back at the track. About a 2.5 hr drive each way and being in NW Arkansas, lots of hills. Pulled it with T/H on.

The drive there, nothing crazy. Other than 7.5 mpg.

On the way back about 30 miles back towards home, my cruise kicked off. Kind of odd. Set it back at 70 mph and kept on. Stopped about another 20 miles later to top off with fuel. When I left the gas station, as the truck shifted from 2nd to 3rd, it never caught 3rd.

I backed off the throttle, tranny went in gear and I drove on.

It started to do this more frequent. A couple of times when down shifting and a couple of more times when shifting up in auto. I stopped, ate my pride and called the wife to bring the z71 man van suburban.

Pulled the car home with the burb and drove the raptor back with no trailer.

It still did it a couple of times when going up some good inclines.

No CEL codes. When it would do this, the gear numbers on the dash would flash as well as the D gear indicator on the dash.

I’m about 4000 miles in on the 6.6L.
Truck/tranny has just shy of 89k miles

It’s storming here now, and I feel totally defeated. I’ll look at it tomorrow evening after work.

Any suggestions? Lead frame? Tranny low on oil, filter clogged? I can have it serviced pretty quickly. Last year, before the 6.2L gave loose with the whipple, I pulled this car/trailer combo and didn’t have any tranny issues.

Where my house is, I live on top of a hill. I put it in manual 1st to crawl up to the house and even with that I had to back off once to let it re-find the gear.

I’m open to all suggestions.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked up Forscan.

TCM had 4 codes.
P1849 Transfer case contact Plate ‘A’ short circuit to ground.

P1857 Transfer case contact Plate ‘C’ short circuit to ground.

P1861 Transfer case contact Plate ‘D’ short circuit to ground.

P1891 Transfer case contact plate ground return open circuit.

I went ahead and cleared the codes. I didn’t drive it anymore this evening.

It was heavily raining when this did happen.

I’d assume I’ve got a harness plug that has rubbed on something or got moisture in it.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That site shows to have a new transfer case motor/harness. Now I know what I looks like, I can focus on that tomorrow evening.

Damn the luck. But if that’s all that it is, I’ll be tickled pink.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let’s start with the obvious, with your engine mods you’re putting way more power through that transmission than it was ever designed to handle. Towing a Hellcat only exacerbated the issue with the additional 7k-8k load.

The DTCs you pulled are from the TCCM, which is the Transfer Case Control Module. It only controls 4x4 function, not transmission shifting. The DTCs you pulled from the TCCM will affect 4x4 mode changes but will not affect transmission operation. The transmission is controlled by the PCM. With the PRNDL flashing and the transmission missing gears/slipping, there should definitely be DTCs stored in the PCM. Try re-connecting ForScan and pull all PCM DTCs.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. I cleared the codes last night as I didn't see any with PCM, but will drive it again this evening and see if I can get any other codes to pop up. TCM vs TCCM - oversight on my part. Damn.

@FordTechOne - Have you ever heard of anything like this in the past? I figure at some point, I will need to beef up the tranny, but hoping I can stretch that out a little longer.

I wanted to get a tranny built and ready to go in, then swap.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, that was never discussed. Please tell me more about the tranny upgrade.
I don't know much about it, this was discussed many moons ago when the first gen 1's were being upgraded. I'm not sure if livernois did this in house or farmed it out to a trans shop.

As far as the issue you are having it sounds like selenoids(sp) sticking in the leadframe but that is just my SWAG.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will do. I cleared the codes last night as I didn't see any with PCM, but will drive it again this evening and see if I can get any other codes to pop up. TCM vs TCCM - oversight on my part. Damn.

@FordTechOne - Have you ever heard of anything like this in the past? I figure at some point, I will need to beef up the tranny, but hoping I can stretch that out a little longer.

I wanted to get a tranny built and ready to go in, then swap.
If the transmission can’t achieve the 3rd gear ratio under load it’s most likely the Direct clutch or Intermediate clutch slipping. Verify the fluid level and condition as a preliminary check. If the fluid is dark with friction material contamination, it’s most likely a clutch failure.