Transmission jumping out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop did get my truck moved in to start working on Today. My original goal was to have it back on the road by 6/15. It's looking like I'm still on track to beat that by a few days.

As soon as I get it back, I have parts to install. Blitkrieg UCA's, Blitzkrieg tie rod kit, ball joints, bushings and also KHC stage 1.5 camber delete kits. Some may have read my previous posts on another thread about how the truck does not drive like it should. I had it aligned multiple times after I had new 35's installed. Before the tranny smoked, I had noticed that my front tires look like they're almost wore out on the outter edges. They look BAD compared to the rear tires. Anyways, once I get the front suspension parts re-worked, the shop is supposed to align one more time after they replace the front tires. Then we will both be done doing business.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just got a kick in the groin. The repair shop called me and asked that I come by. They found an electrical issue that they wanted to show me. Check out the attached picture. The transmission harness was laying on top of the header tube. It had a nice U shape from where it had been sitting, but it looks burnt pretty bad. There was plenty of slack to where it could have been dressed to stay off of the header. The sticker with part number was still on the harness, so they're going to check with Ford tomorrow to get a replacement coming.

When the transmission acted up, that was when I was pulling a 4500 lb car on a trailer. So I'm sure my EGT's were higher than usual. Ugh. Rebuilt transmission when it was most likely just the harness.

Attachments

• Transmission Harness.jpg
    Transmission Harness.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harness from Ford is $250. The mechanic opened up the bundle and said there is no insulation on the wires in the area that was sitting on the header. Said that it would be at the ford dealer on Friday, 6/9, so MAYBE i can still get it back end of day tomorrow.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh - $4500 for stage 2 rebuild that will handle up to 1200 RWHP. Through MS Racing, that price includes the billet shafts. Through circle D, those are add ons to the $4500 from them. New torque converter through circle D - $1200
R&R on transmission - $1250 New valve body and oil pump was an additional $1200 (oem ford).

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked up Forscan.

TCM had 4 codes.
P1849 Transfer case contact Plate ‘A’ short circuit to ground.

P1857 Transfer case contact Plate ‘C’ short circuit to ground.

P1861 Transfer case contact Plate ‘D’ short circuit to ground.

P1891 Transfer case contact plate ground return open circuit.

I went ahead and cleared the codes. I didn’t drive it anymore this evening.

It was heavily raining when this did happen.

I’d assume I’ve got a harness plug that has rubbed on something or got moisture in it.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though the TCCM is separate from the PCM control of the transmission, they do share the same wiring harness. The charred wires explain why I saw the faults in Forscan.

For what it’s worth, the harness has two male plugs that hold the harness on the front and back of the transmission. Both were holding the harness as it should. From the front of the transmission to where the harness plugs into the fire wall, it free floats.

In summary, the shop that installed the motor/headers, I feel like they should have done more to keep the harness off of the header pipe. The other side of the coin, I should have dug more into the electrical faults that I initially picked up in Forscan.

Maybe someone can learn from my experience.

Attachments

• IMG_3091.jpeg
    IMG_3091.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3090.jpeg
    IMG_3090.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3089.jpeg
    IMG_3089.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get my truck back yesterday. Got the PCM updated to the new strategy code for the valve body. All seems good for now. Drove it about 50 miles. I'm going to try and get about 150 miles under it, then check fluids, and if all is good, give her hell. One other thing to note on the harness that was replaced. The new harness had a plastic plug (shop calls them xmas tree) that plugs in at the rear of the passenger side valve cover. With that installed, the harness is a solid 3" away from the header pipe.