Needing Input Please - Transmission Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a summary. I had MS Racing in Florida rebuild my transmission. Fully built, supposed to handle up to 1200 WHP. After about 2 months, a solenoid on the valve body stuck, and this in turn allowed the lower planetary to fail as well as the one way clutches. The valve body was installed new at time of rebuild. I sent the transmission back to them, and they replaced the damaged parts at no cost. Shipped the transmission back and I had a local shop install. Same one that did the first go around. I have a little over 500 miles on the tranny now that it's back in. Forward shifting in auto seems pretty good.

I have a couple of oddities to figure out now.

1) I am leaking transmission fluid around the rear of the tranny, kind of where it bolts up to the transfer case. It's a slow drip, but is leaking. See attached picture. Any ideas on what that that could be from?
2) I notice in reverse something seems to be rubbing/binding. It seems to do this at very slow in reverse. Like when first move in reverse. Then you don't feel it as you back up a ways, but as you come to a stop, you feel something rubbing/chattering a little. I'm concerned with this.

I'm going to take it back to the shop and see if they can narrow down anything.

Thought I would get input on here as well.

Thanks in advance.

BrianRaptor tranny 2.jpg

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bulkhead connector on the 6r80 loves to leak, I'd have that checked out for sure, mine dumped a quart of atf on my driveway one time, replacement was real quick and pretty inexpensive. Good luck man.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's about a million 6R80 transmissions out there, on trucks as well as SUV's. I'd suggest you search on whatever forum has the biggest subscriber base as they will most likely have the best information, at least for an unmodified trans. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bulkhead connector, that looks like a strong possibility. I sent them the link to the youtube video (lol). Thank you all on that.
I'll crawl under there and check it out tonight. Got an appointment at the shop for Tuesday, 9/25.

The rubbing thing in reverse has got me perplexed as well. It only does it like a crawl of a speed in reverse. Like feather your foot on the brake pedal when backing up. Maybe it's something with the brakes. I haven't changed anything there. We shall see. I'd say brakes are factory and have around 90K on them.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
90k miles on factory brakes is pretty good. Take a look at front, rear and parking brake pads. Might have a rivet dragging on a rotor. Also check and make sure the drive shafts are not rubbing on anything.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop told me late this afternoon that my rear seal on the transmission is leaking. They told me that they’d need to drop the transmission to change the seal. What are your all thoughts on that? I’m going to go and get some pics tomorrow and then maybe I can get some more input.

For the rubbing in reverse, they said it looks like front brakes. If I have time, I’ll get those changed this weekend. Heck of a coincidence that it starts after getting the tranny put back in. We shall see.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop said they don't have to fully drop the transmission for the rear seal. Just the transfer case. So going to get a new seal ordered. The bulk head connector looked dry.

I know this has been asked and I will search, but anything to stay away from on the brakes? I thought I would get pricing through O'Reilly's and Autozone. Not looking to do anything crazy on the brakes.

Attachments

• Bulk Head.jpg
    Bulk Head.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Transfer Case.jpg
    Transfer Case.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member