Needing Input Please - Transmission Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone has that rear seal part number, that would be great? Timken? National Seal? SKF? Is there a brand preference?

The timken listed does not say whether it's for 4WD. Shows that it crosses to OEM Part numbers: 6L2P7052AA, 6L2Z7052AA

The SKF 15165 shows for 6.2L with 4 WD, but does not show a cross to OEM part numbers.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"The shop said they don't have to fully drop the transmission for the rear seal. Just the transfer case. So going to get a new seal ordered. The bulk head connector looked dry."

If your shop is doing the repair why are you hunting down the part? Don't most shops have a policy where they don't warranty parts you bring them?

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They won't order the seal until they have the transfer case dropped. Seal is $20 bucks or so. It is likely that one of the parts stores will have to order the seal. My logic was that they could save a day by not having to order the seal, and if I by chance do get the wrong one or it's something else, I'm out $20. Patience has always been a challenge for me.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called Ford with the VIN. Ford Part number is 9L3Z7052C. Crossed it to the National Oil and Seal part number, 710673, but no stock anywhere that I can find. Ordered the OEM through Ford.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
"The shop said they don't have to fully drop the transmission for the rear seal. Just the transfer case. So going to get a new seal ordered. The bulk head connector looked dry."

If your shop is doing the repair why are you hunting down the part? Don't most shops have a policy where they don't warranty parts you bring them?
Warranty void if seal is clubbed.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Wagner brake pads from O'Reillys and have had 0 issues with those pads.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ask them to save the T case fluid so you can have it tested; the trans fluid as well. Invest the $30 to have Blackstone Labs test each sample for metals, wear, etc. Hopefully, you'll get better results than I did https://www.blackstone-labs.com/about-us/

Attachments

• 20221027_165550.jpg
    20221027_165550.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had an old racer guy stop by that likes to chat about going fast. I was describing my chatter/rubbing that I feel in reverse. He said he had a very similar problem on a truck that had rear disc brakes. After replacing all of his rotors and pads, he found the problem to be the small emergency drum/brake. Said that he had a small leak on his rear axle seal that was causing his pads to slightly swell and catch when in reverse. I've got all of the brake parts on order for rotors and discs. Does that seem plausible with the emergency brake on the fords?

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@BSouders80 I cant say all but mine @mwaite09 @Bozz the three I have done the actuator hook thing on ALL OF THEM was froze up. To fix you have to take the shoes off manually pull the break cable vice grip it off so it will not go back. Unhook the actuator hook thingy slide it out of the rubber boot it passes through. had to put in the vice and PB blaster it up to get it to move freely. Reinstall. grease that puppy up good so you don't have to do that again. I actually painted mine first then greased the crap out of it.
EDIT make that 4 now another buddy(not on FRF) just did his breaks last night I told him to look out for this. he said his were both froze up also.

Last edited: