Transmission jumping out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the filter and fluid - Anything special there or just get OEM filter and follow fluid recommendation per the manual? How many quarts of oil will be needed?

@FordTechOne - It's not just 3rd gear, it does it in multiple gears. Example: My drive is up a large incline. I live on top of a hill. I put the truck in manual 1st and crawled up it. About 50 ft into the incline, 1st gear slipped. I let off the throttle a little, it caught and I made it up the rest of the way. So it's across the board on the gears.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the filter and fluid - Anything special there or just get OEM filter and follow fluid recommendation per the manual? How many quarts of oil will be needed?
OEM filter and fluid. But check the dipstick and/or take a fluid sample before draining and refilling. If the fluid is contaminated with friction material or metal, and/or smells burnt, don’t waste the new fluid and filter on it.
@FordTechOne - It's not just 3rd gear, it does it in multiple gears. Example: My drive is up a large incline. I live on top of a hill. I put the truck in manual 1st and crawled up it. About 50 ft into the incline, 1st gear slipped. I let off the throttle a little, it caught and I made it up the rest of the way. So it's across the board on the gears.
With it slipping in all gears there may be multiple failures. That often happens when one friction element slips, burns the fluid, and spreads friction material or metal throughout the transmission. If you lose manual 1st gear at speeds above 3MPH, that’s an indication that the 1 way clutch has failed.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne

I hate to assume, but let’s say that one way clutch is bad/failed… Full rebuild or buy new? I’m putting 700+ Hp through the tranny. What would be your recommendation on a rebuild or tranny that will hold that much power?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne

I hate to assume, but let’s say that one way clutch is bad/failed… Full rebuild or buy new? I’m putting 700+ Hp through the tranny. What would be your recommendation on a rebuild or tranny that will hold that much power?
Even if it’s a single component that failed, the debris will typically cause damage to the rest of the transmission unless it’s caught immediately.

I can’t speak to aftermarket rebuilds or “built” units on 6R80, but maybe others can chime in and share experiences and recommendations.

In my experience, performance upgraded transmissions tend to be on the harsh side since they’re primarily built to handle the increased torque at the sacrifice of drivability and efficiency. And there is a common misconception that the harder it slams through gears the faster it’s shifting, which couldn’t be further from reality.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked Forscan up again and no codes except the tccm. I looked at the plug for the motor on the transfer case, no damage and looks fine. It did shift to 4H and 4L and back to 2H, so I’m not worried about that.

There was nothing external on the transmission to speak of.

Keep in mind - I live on a hill and I don’t have much flat area to work, other than my shop. Shop is further up the drive as compared to the garage to the house where I parked it last night.

I backed up and put the truck in M1 and inched up. I felt the tranny give about half way up. So next attempt was in reverse. No slippage there.

At least it’s to where I can work on it.

14 hrs at work today and I’d say the same for tomorrow. It’ll be Friday before I get to it.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm to the point to where I'd rather just rebuild it and be done with the tranny.

What is a good performance shop to work with? I know of one guy who went with Circle D.

Livernois suggested MS Racing in Florida.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? We have a local shop that could do the rebuild if I supply the parts. Parts from Circle D is around $2K. Circle D said around $4200 if I ship it to them. Plus converter cost.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MS Racing in Florida is $4200 out the door for 1200 rwhp tranny
Circle D is right in the same ballpark.

You can buy the Circle D kit and have it installed locally. Kit is $2000

Has anyone used BCA Transmission? They show one for $3000k that will hold 1200 whp.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the clutch packs are toast and you may also have valve body issues.
Id buy all the Circle D stuff as well as a new Lead Frame and have it built if you have a transmission shop local that is good with 6R80's.
I had my trans die at 88k with a blower. Something in the converter broke and would not lock up anymore.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get to it this weekend, so took it in to a shop to be looked at this morning. FWIW - My truck did drive under it's own power to the shop. I didn't push it hard, but it didn't pop out of gear any.

@Canuck714 - I did speak to Circle D last week. Did you buy their billet intermediate shaft and clutch pack, then have that installed? Looking at around $1900 there.

What about torque converter? Did you go with new on that? If yes, which one did you go with?

I didn't know if there was any improvements to gain on going to anything other than a stock TC.

Looks like you have the same 2014 as I do. I've not had any issue with tranny up to this point. Lead frame, if I change that out, where is the best place to find that?