The topic that has been beaten to DEATH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about stirring old shit up again. If you think that you will push your truck hard enough to bend the frame or break anything else, then upgrade for a little money and have a little peace of mind. But stop stirring the pot with these useless threads. JMHO

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I think we should all be more concerned about this "driveshaft clunk" we've all been reading about!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody loves saying these kits will affect the crumple zone... But how does anybody know that? This brace runs side to side, not front to back. It would NOT be hard to design a proper bump stop that doesn't affect the crumple zone, even if the current designs DO.

Anyways, there's obviously 2 opinions on this subject, and all people will never agree. I'm of the opinion that it's a **** poor design to have your FRAME be the weak link, given the frame is the backbone of any vehicle. There are many alternate designs that should have been considered, given they knew about the issue during pre-production.

Even the human body will usually break legs in a fall long before your back... It's evolution, and "intelligent" design... Something Ford lacks! Haha

Its not about breaking a leg its about the truck BLOWING UP when it gets hit from behind and not being able to get the seat belt off to get out!!! and will you ever stop crying about your frame!!! stup up about it will ya!!!!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Even the human body will usually break legs in a fall long before your back... It's evolution, and "intelligent" design... Something Ford lacks! Haha

This is an invalid comparison. Because in your scenario, broken legs and a broken back will both leave you pretty much immobile. The truck however, did not strand you. It was still mobile and got you back home.

You can complain all day long that the frame is not strong enough and on and on. The bottom line is this: The design ford went with got you home and didn't leave you stranded in the desert with a broken axle or something else.

The idea of this truck wasn't to build a "purpose built off road race truck" It was to see what they could do in regards to making a factory pre-runner. The reason it's so cheap is because it's heavily based on an F150. Like someone else said, it would have been cost prohibitive to R&D a special frame for the Raptor, and would have bumped the price up considerably. Maybe even to Raptor R prices (100k-ish)

If you want to go pretend to be Robbie Gordon or Ivan Stewart then you're going to bend/break stuff. I don't understand why people are so pissed that they pushed FAR beyond the limitations of the truck (we have had engineers on here illustrate the scenarios in depth too.) and the truck only bent a little bit and got them home. I would be happy my truck got me back home safely instead of stranding me in the desert.

I once again didn't mean to go on for this long, but it's just so damn annoying that Ford can come out with something like this, and people can sit here and scream "design flaw! OMG Ford ignored this weak point on purpose!"

It's called a damn crumple zone and it has to be integrated into the frame by federal regulation. Ford had to build the best truck they could keeping in mind the laws, price point, ease of production, and performance. That's a hell of a balancing act. It's a lot harder to make a capable pre-runner from the factory that is able to jump and run whoops than it is to make a Mustang that will run quickly around a track. Something to think about there....

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To those who are complaining that this thread is stirring shit, get a ******* life. This is for my personal benefit in order to understand the debate on this topic. If you don't give a shit, then get the **** out.

I just watched the Jamal Hameedi explanation again and it finally clicked for me.

I now understand that the frame yielding is MUCH MUCH better than what the other option is...

Hameedi explains that the yield in the frame did not cause a donkey kick or else that'd be far worse. I agree with that 100%. The other day I was riding my Yamaha Wolverine 450 on some whoops. I hit too big of a whoop and the ATV was bouncing wildly. Obviously, the ATV ran out of travel. Nothing was damaged. For those who may know, the Wolverine isn't a Utility ATV or Sports. It's basically a stripped down version of a Yamaha Raptor (in terms of suspension) with a nice Utility ATV selectable 2x4 and 4x4. I experienced the terrible donkey kick and was ejected out of the seat in front of the ATV, landed on my head, sprained my ankle, and bruised some body parts. I'm glad I wasn't run over by the ATV because I was ejected in front of it.

For those who are confused about this debate, I hope my perspective gives you a little more sustenance to form your own opinion.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
To those who are complaining that this thread is stirring shit, get a ******* life. This is for my personal benefit in order to understand the debate on this topic. If you don't give a shit, then get the **** out.

I just watched the Jamal Hameedi explanation again and it finally clicked for me.

I now understand that the frame yielding is MUCH MUCH better than what the other option is...

Hameedi explains that the yield in the frame did not cause a donkey kick or else that'd be far worse. I agree with that 100%. The other day I was riding my Yamaha Wolverine 450 on some whoops. I hit too big of a whoop and the ATV was bouncing wildly. Obviously, the ATV ran out of travel. Nothing was damaged. For those who may know, the Wolverine isn't a Utility ATV or Sports. It's basically a stripped down version of a Yamaha Raptor (in terms of suspension) with a nice Utility ATV selectable 2x4 and 4x4. I experienced the terrible donkey kick and was ejected out of the seat in front of the ATV, landed on my head, sprained my ankle, and bruised some body parts. I'm glad I wasn't run over by the ATV because I was ejected in front of it.

For those who are confused about this debate, I hope my perspective gives you a little more sustenance to form your own opinion.

It's funny you mention this, because I too learned about running out of travel on a four wheeler. I was 13 I think and riding a Kawasaki Bayou 220 (not much travel to begin with) but I thought I was riding something far better and got in over my head in the whoops and had the same thing happen. You only have to learn that one once right? :ROFLJest:

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's funny you mention this, because I too learned about running out of travel on a four wheeler. I was 13 I think and riding a Kawasaki Bayou 220 (not much travel to begin with) but I thought I was riding something far better and got in over my head in the whoops and had the same thing happen. You only have to learn that one once right? :ROFLJest:

Exactly. This was in November... I still can't run or jog yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.