Recurring Suspension Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did use the silicone lube that Ford recommended. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Replacing the shock is the only alternative.
Where did you lube the shock? My squeak was coming the dust seal where it meets the shock shaft. Try some lube there and see if that quiets it down.

DaddyHelm

Reaction score
37 PP, same issue with right front squeak since about 9,000 miles. Drove me crazy but never had time to leave it at a dealer to get it looked at. Finally at 28,000 I did. Here’s where we are at. Found the right front shock is out of alignment with the spring. You can see how the shock is centered on the left front and off on the right front. Dealer is supposed to be going to bat for me with Ford. I’ve never off roaded this truck other than the occasional job site but nothing hard core. I’ll update with what Ford says.

Attachments

• 7EE9A27A-E0B1-4B5C-92B8-476A326F0F7E.jpeg
    7EE9A27A-E0B1-4B5C-92B8-476A326F0F7E.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 1E1E9D72-0275-4D50-92D6-FB1DBA2B2D9C.jpeg
    1E1E9D72-0275-4D50-92D6-FB1DBA2B2D9C.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 77

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just from looking at the picture it looks like the bottom spring retainer is 180 off. The thinner sides should both be facing the same way. In other words, both sides towards the engine.

DaddyHelm

Reaction score
Just from looking at the picture it looks like the bottom spring retainer is 180 off. The thinner sides should both be facing the same way. In other words, both sides towards the engine.
Man, I’m not a mechanic, but logically that makes sense. Wondering if this has been this way from the factory for a lot of people or a one off mistake.

Bajabro

Reaction score
UPDATE: The squeaking is finally gone after my local Ford Dealer replaced both 37 PP Fox Shocks. We also realigned the truck to ensure everything is to factory spec. My truck feels like new again.

But I do have one major concern/question about these shocks being replaced:

When Ford sent the new 37 PP Fox Shocks to my dealer, they came without new springs. My Ford Tech removed the old springs from my defected shocks and mounted them on the new shocks. Is this a normal procedure?

My truck definitely feels more planted now than it did before. The front end and body doesn’t roll and bounce as much. The ride feels stiffer but not overly heavy. More like a planted feel.

What is everyone’s thoughts on this? Should I ask Ford to send me new springs as well?

Bajabro

Reaction score
Normal to reuse springs. Glad you got it fixed.

Glad to hear it’s a normal procedure. If anyone things otherwise, please chime in.

Just drove my 37 PP this morning through the 405 in LA and it’s much more smoother than when it was squeaking. It’ll probably get smoother once the shocks are broken in.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad to hear it’s a normal procedure. If anyone things otherwise, please chime in.

Just drove my 37 PP this morning through the 405 in LA and it’s much more smoother then before when it was squeaking. It’ll probably get smoother once the shocks are broken in.
Springs and shocks are serviced separately; there’s no need to replace the springs.