2023 Gen3 37PP-steering wheel thumping/tapping feeling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Here is one more when driven about 5 miles.

View attachment 446196
So we can see the shaft moving in and out on the lower shaft. Wouldn't this indicate that something is loose up top, between that joint with the yellow seal and the steering wheel? It should not move independently just by tugging on it I wouldn't think. Mine does not.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Reaction score
So we can see the shaft moving in and out on the lower shaft. Wouldn't this indicate that something is loose up top, between that joint with the yellow seal and the steering wheel? It should not move independently just by tugging on it I wouldn't think. Mine does not.
No, the lower shaft is a two piece design (one going into the other). One part bolts to the shaft coming out of the firewall and the other to the steering rack. All i'm doing is lightly, with two fingers pulling up to the sky then pushing down to the ground. The noise/thump is coming from that lower shaft with the yellow rubber boot. It almost seems as if the smaller dia. shaft expands from heat and binds inside the larger dia. shaft.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, the lower shaft is a two piece design (one going into the other). One part bolts to the shaft coming out of the firewall and the other to the steering rack. All i'm doing is lightly, with two fingers pulling up to the sky then pushing down to the ground. The noise/thump is coming from that lower shaft with the yellow rubber boot. It almost seems as if the smaller dia. shaft expands from heat and binds inside the larger dia. shaft.
That’s exactly what I was going to say, it sounds like the tolerances are too tight causing it to bind once it’s heated up and expanded. Also why I bet the new greased one is slightly worse. I haven’t looked at mine in person but what makes that part get so hot?

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does it take long to get that lower shaft out of the truck? I’d remove it, disassemble it, sand down the inner shaft, reassemble, and see if it goes away.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Reaction score
Does it take long to get that lower shaft out of the truck? I’d remove it, disassemble it, sand down the inner shaft, reassemble, and see if it goes away.
It's not hard to take out. I would rather not mess with it at this point so they don't blame me for anything.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not hard to take out. I would rather not mess with it at this point so they don't blame me for anything.
I mean how much is the part? If it’s driving you insane and isn’t that much maybe buy a spare one to mess around with?

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I was going to say, it sounds like the tolerances are too tight causing it to bind once it’s heated up and expanded. Also why I bet the new greased one is slightly worse. I haven’t looked at mine in person but what makes that part get so hot?
In the jeep world, I had to replace the “intermittent steering shaft” on my 08 Wrangler due to a clunking and sloppy steering wheel feeling. It had two u-joints with boots, and the grease inside the boot was fried. The updated design extended it away from the hot engine. The job took 20 minutes and made the truck feel brand new again. Huge difference when I replaced that. There were also non-mechanical guys that didn't want to remove it, and they figured out ways to inject a decent amount of grease into the boot. That solved the issue for some people also.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Reaction score
In the jeep world, I had to replace the “intermittent steering shaft” on my 08 Wrangler due to a clunking and sloppy steering wheel feeling. It had two u-joints with boots, and the grease inside the boot was fried. The updated design extended it away from the hot engine. The job took 20 minutes and made the truck feel brand new again. Huge difference when I replaced that. There were also non-mechanical guys that didn't want to remove it, and they figured out ways to inject a decent amount of grease into the boot. That solved the issue for some people also.
I have no issues with working on the truck myself. We all paid a good amount for these trucks and shouldn't have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter