Gen 2 vs. Gen 4 (MY17 vs. MY24)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys looking at the Gen 3 and now the Gen 4 and thinking, "is it time to upgrade?". I've been successful in talking myself out of upgrading simply because the engine platform has relatively stayed the same albeit with upgraded suspension and other upgraded components to make the 3.5 HO-EB more reliable (I guess). My 2017 Gen 2 has served me generally well with mainly these re-occuring problems:

- The annoying hub grinding from the vacuum-based system that is inherent with the IWE system in this generation of F150's. I've been changing the check valve about 1x per year to fix.
- Harsh shifting from reverse to drive and acceleration. Been to the dealer almost annually for a re-program of the transmission per some updated TSB each year.
- Moonroof continues to struggle opening and has had a broken track replaced.

There are other minor annoyances not worth listing but generally, my Gen2 has been a good truck. Love the gas mileage (when the IWE is working).

In Dec 2016, I paid just under MSRP for my Gen2 fully loaded roughly around $72K. If I were to order an equally equipped Gen 4, I'm guessing it will run me close to $90K with ADM?

Is it worth the upgrade? and if so, why?

Thanks in advance!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
- The annoying hub grinding from the vacuum-based system that is inherent with the IWE system in this generation of F150's. I've been changing the check valve about 1x per year to fix.
Use 4A. Honestly, I’ve never < knocks wood > had an IWE issue and if you’re having recurring issues, something else is wrong.

- Harsh shifting from reverse to drive and acceleration. Been to the dealer almost annually for a re-program of the transmission per some updated TSB each year.
I had muscle cars with shift kits, so harsh shifting does not bother me. The reverse to drive shift and sometimes park to drive has always been a little jarring in my truck, but not what I’d call bad.

Did you come from a luxury vehicle where these shifts are barely felt? This can skew the perception quite a bit.
- Moonroof continues to struggle opening and has had a broken track replaced.
That’s not going to improve with a new truck.
If you decide to sell / trade, the exorbitant Jen Tres price isn’t as hateful with a good offset. But outright... it’s a bit of a big nut.

Only you can decide if the upgrade is worth it, but their rear suspension stability & flexibility is a pretty big upgrade.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
There are so many variables that could sway this decision. And, most of them have to do with you specifically. I.E. financial situation, need for a new truck, etc. Can't answer those questions for you. As for the truck, Gen3 vs Gen2 was definitely worth it in my opinion. Suspension, smoother shifting, more power (not advertised, but it's there), wireless carplay/android, bigger infotainment screen, adjustable shock dampening, steering wheel feel and exhaust modes from buttons on the steering wheel. Also, the exhaust is an improvement overall. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but I would buy a '23 before I'd buy a '24. Heck, I'd probably try finding a low mileage '21 or '22 to have some of the extra options that disappeared in '23.

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree completely with the poster above. I went from a 2019 to a 2021 and it was a massive difference in all areas. Looks are subjective but the motor, trans and suspension were all objectively better and the exhaust note is light years better. Now my 2021 is going and i'm ordering a 2024 to go along with my mid travel Gen 1 but frankly i miss the 2021 and not happy with the color choices for 24.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree completely with the poster above. I went from a 2019 to a 2021 and it was a massive difference in all areas. Looks are subjective but the motor, trans and suspension were all objectively better and the exhaust note is light years better. Now my 2021 is going and i'm ordering a 2024 to go along with my mid travel Gen 1 but frankly i miss the 2021 and not happy with the color choices for 24.
Did you already sell the 21?

There will never be as significant of a change as there was from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I enjoy my Gen 3 much more than my Gen 2 the longer I own it, but that being said I don't see any way to justify upgrading to the '24MY. Nothing really moves the needle for me on it considering the way things are packaged and priced.

Last edited:

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use 4A. Honestly, I’ve never < knocks wood > had an IWE issue and if you’re having recurring issues, something else is wrong.
What do you mean by use 4A to avoid potential IWE issue ?
Most of time, or just go to 2WD to 4A from time to time , regulary , to make parts moove ...
I remember have read somewhere on FRF, 4A, love it, but don't abuse it, bcs of IWE , so ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter