Gen 2 vs. Gen 4 (MY17 vs. MY24)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use 4A. Honestly, I’ve never < knocks wood > had an IWE issue and if you’re having recurring issues, something else is wrong.

I had muscle cars with shift kits, so harsh shifting does not bother me. The reverse to drive shift and sometimes park to drive has always been a little jarring in my truck, but not what I’d call bad.

Did you come from a luxury vehicle where these shifts are barely felt? This can skew the perception quite a bit.

That’s not going to improve with a new truck.
If you decide to sell / trade, the exorbitant Jen Tres price isn’t as hateful with a good offset. But outright... it’s a bit of a big nut.

Only you can decide if the upgrade is worth it, but their rear suspension stability & flexibility is a pretty big upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard guys running in 4A full-time. How's your gas mileage in that setting?

I've had luxury cars, trucks, SUVs, etc. The harsh shifting was terrible. The service advisors noticed it and also the ford techs when I took them out for test drive. My Jeep Wranglers, Ford Explorers, Mazda's, Honda's, etc. all felt some shifting but this truck, before the re-programs, were neck-jarring from reverse to drive, park to drive, and often times during accelerating from 3rd to 5th, etc. (Knock on wood) the last PCM program seemed to fix that problem. Historically, when the trans was flashed, the shifting would be normal for about 3 months then it would revert back to the harsh shifting.

Agree with the trade/buy option. It's not a deal-breaker for me.

At first glance, the new headlights design doesn't do much for me compared to the two previous designs.

And I didn't know MY24 was considered a Gen 3 -- ha!

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by use 4A to avoid potential IWE issue ?
Most of time, or just go to 2WD to 4A from time to time , regulary , to make parts moove ...
I remember have read somewhere on FRF, 4A, love it, but don't abuse it, bcs of IWE , so ?

I haven't thought of switching from 2WD to 4A occasionally. Knowing my luck, it will immediately start grinding once I engage the IWE.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will add that if I can get into an R for a fair price, I'll jump on it but I know that is a pipe dream in current market.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The iphone 15 is nearly identical to the iphone 14 save for a few upgrades. I will not be getting a new one when the one I have is 92% as “good”. Gen2-Gen3 is a good jump but a gen3 truck isnt going to do that much more for you than a gen 2 if you really think about it. Lots of trucks running leafs in the rear still. If I had f you money i’d buy in but , i dont so its Gen 2 for a long ass time… maybe forever :). Oh and by the way , have fun goosetuning the gen 3.45 anytime soon.