2023 Gen3 37PP-steering wheel thumping/tapping feeling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the new (second replacement updated part# NL3Z-3B676-B) lower shaft after driving it home from the dealer (hot). You can see the grease where the yellow rubber is sliding on the shaft. Still thumping...
View attachment 449357
Maybe it’s not that part at this point. Is it possible you’re getting excessive movement between the cab and frame somehow? I checked out this part and mine does have movement too but I don’t get the sensation you describe while driving.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Reaction score
Maybe it’s not that part at this point. Is it possible you’re getting excessive movement between the cab and frame somehow? I checked out this part and mine does have movement too but I don’t get the sensation you describe while driving.
The thump is definitely coming from that part. That's the only thing i'm moving and it's the same sensation I get in the steering wheel. I had my friend move it just as i'm doing while I sat inside and held the steering wheel. Does yours make that thumping sound in my video(turn up your volume)? They are all supposed to move that's how they are designed. It's not supposed to bind and transmit a thumping sensation into the steering wheel. You can hear the binding in my videos.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The thump is definitely coming from that part. That's the only thing i'm moving and it's the same sensation I get in the steering wheel. I had my friend move it just as i'm doing while I sat inside and held the steering wheel. Does yours make that thumping sound in my video(turn up your volume)? They are all supposed to move that's how they are designed. It's not supposed to bind and transmit a thumping sensation into the steering wheel. You can hear the binding in my videos.
I’m not saying it’s not that part, what I’m saying is something is causing it to move while you drive and it’s not your fingers like you’re doing manually in your videos. Maybe whatever is causing it to move while you drive is the problem, and not that part, even though the part is what’s making the noise/feeling.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Reaction score
I’m not saying it’s not that part, what I’m saying is something is causing it to move while you drive and it’s not your fingers like you’re doing manually in your videos. Maybe whatever is causing it to move while you drive is the problem, and not that part, even though the part is what’s making the noise/feeling.
There is always movement at that location with flex or whatever. That part should not bind under heat and cause the thump. They checked all bolts and brackets in that area for torque. Your lower shaft moves but I'm assuming it doesn't bind/thump like mine. I'm thinking about putting a GoPro down there to record it while driving.

So your lower shaft "cold" is just like my video "cold"? And yours "Hot" is like my video "Cold"? No binding noise or thump.

Last edited:

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have no issues with working on the truck myself. We all paid a good amount for these trucks and shouldn't have to.
Completely agree there. I shouldn't have all these small issues that I have with the truck too. I've been letting the dealer handle it and for the first time ever I got the extended warranty when it was reasonable from Ziegler. Dealer is stuck with me for 8yr/150k lol

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is always movement at that location with flex or whatever. That part should not bind under heat and cause the thump. They checked all bolts and brackets in that area for torque. Your lower shaft moves but I'm assuming it doesn't bind/thump like mine. I'm thinking about putting a GoPro down there to record it while driving.

So lower shaft "cold" is just like my video "cold"? And yours "Hot" is like my video "Cold"? No binding noise or thump.
In all honesty I didn’t check cold vs hot. Also I think I felt what you’re describing maybe 5 times in the first 50 miles, my truck has 90 miles on it now. It sounds like a tolerance issue and yours isn’t “breaking in” within the allowable tolerance. Not sure why you’ve had several bad ones though.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Reaction score
In all honesty I didn’t check cold vs hot. Also I think I felt what you’re describing maybe 5 times in the first 50 miles, my truck has 90 miles on it now. It sounds like a tolerance issue and yours isn’t “breaking in” within the allowable tolerance. Not sure why you’ve had several bad ones though.
Yes, it sure seems like a tolerance issue. I had to figure out the issue myself and document it with videos. It's very clear where and what the issue is.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
So what is the next step?
I hate going to the dealer. I'd probably try and pump some grease behind the yellow seal, on all sides and see what happens.
If that makes it quiet I would consider installing a zerk on the larger shaft and repeating if the knock comes back later on.
Just throwing out ideas.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Reaction score
So what is the next step?
I hate going to the dealer. I'd probably try and pump some grease behind the yellow seal, on all sides and see what happens.
If that makes it quiet I would consider installing a zerk on the larger shaft and repeating if the knock comes back later on.
Just throwing out ideas.
They need to send down a Ford field service engineer. The new shaft has grease on that yellow boot. This was the "new" part number.