Power steering fluid type confirmation please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While the RPG reservoir is a great step in adding some much needed durability, and functionality, to the F-150 power steering system, it is not a cure-all. Living in the pacific northwest, my truck sees a lot of mud and deep, wet snow, both of which are very hard on the steering pump.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm curious to know what the dealer will say with the aftermarket reservoir. Hopefully they don't make a sink over it.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

Cerberos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I'm curious to know what the dealer will say with the aftermarket reservoir. Hopefully they don't make a sink over it.

Just got a call from the dealership Service Manager. Pump is being replaced under warranty.

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always told atf and power stearing fluid are virtually the same thing but i still put power stearing fluid in mine after the rpg reservior and i havnt even had a wine at all even with multiple trips to pismo and the lost coast run. is it a bad thing that im using power stearing fluid instead of atf?

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Viscosity is similar between power steering fluid and most transmissions fluids, but in my experience many of the aftermarket power steering fluids are pretty poor quality. I think Ford has required trans fluid to be used in their steering systems for as long as I can remember.

Cerberos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good. Any indication as to what caused it? Or will you be back in a few months?

No autopsy on the failed pump and the Service Manager's take was "it happens." Since it was covered under warranty, I didn't get to see the failed part. So, no idea if the seals let go or the housing cracked. The seals let go on my first pump.

Frankly, I was very surprised that this second pump gave out like it did. Nice summer day and we were on our way back from Costco. Not like the steering system was being stressed in any way or fashion. No advance wine or popping noise. Not a gradual failure either. I suspect this may have been an anomaly in that there was absolutely no push back from the dealership. Kudos to Ford for stepping up so readily.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I ordered a power steering res on march 20th and still don't have it.... I ordered my raptor and it got here in a month...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2