Power steering fluid type confirmation please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I went to my local auto parts store and they looked up the 6.2 Raptor on their computer.

I wanted to pick up a bottle of power steering fluid and the computer says it actually used Transmission Fluid.

Is this correct?? and can I simply "top-off" the fluid in the resoivor??

Thanks,

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, uses ATF not power steering fluid.

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

And it's std ATF just like the transfer case. It is not the same fluid as the transmission takes.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed this too for my 5.4! When I went and had RPG install their resevior they filled it with std trans fluid I thought it was kinda odd but I'm not Gonna question Corey haha. So will it harm the steering if you put powers Terri g fluid in it?? Has anyone put a synthetic power steering fluid in theirs??

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I put the RPG power steering reservoir on I flushed & filled the system with Royal Purple Max ATF. Has worked flawlessly since.

OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scott and Pat!! :patriot:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did the same thing as Donk.... I flushed as much of the old crap as I could with Royal Purple max ATF.. After 2.5 quarts, it was a little dirty, but does not look like coffee anymore.. The pump quieted down except during first couple of minutes after starting..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, make sure and flush it often. I recommend keeping a very close eye on the "power steering fluid" (ATF) and brake fluid and check it at least once a month. Once either one of them begins to turn color or develop a smell at all, go ahead and flush. It it is very cheap insurance to defend against having to purchase a hydroboost unit, power steering pump, calipers, etc.

Cerberos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, make sure and flush it often. I recommend keeping a very close eye on the "power steering fluid" (ATF) and brake fluid and check it at least once a month. Once either one of them begins to turn color or develop a smell at all, go ahead and flush. It it is very cheap insurance to defend against having to purchase a hydroboost unit, power steering pump, calipers, etc.

Good advice! The current F150 power steering system is a weak link even with this level of monitoring and maintenance. I was an early adopter of the RPG power steering reservoir and also flushed my system with Royal Purple max ATF. First unit failed 9 months ago, the second, today. Nice puddle on my driveway...

:drunk:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good advice! The current F150 power steering system is a weak link even with this level of monitoring and maintenance. I was an early adopter of the RPG power steering reservoir and also flushed my system with Royal Purple max ATF. First unit failed 9 months ago, the second, today. Nice puddle on my driveway...

:drunk:

Yours failed even though you had the RPG reservoir?

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

Cerberos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours failed even though you had the RPG reservoir?

While the RPG reservoir is a great step in adding some much needed durability, and functionality, to the F-150 power steering system, it is not a cure-all. Living in the pacific northwest, my truck sees a lot of mud and deep, wet snow, both of which are very hard on the steering pump.