GEN 1 Power steering problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RATRODIN

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Raptor & live in a rural area with property. So this weekend I was out in my back pasture & decided to mess around. So I goofed off doing donuts & sliding around. I did not hit or bounce off anything. First time I have done that with this truck. Now the power steering is all messed up. Like at idle seems like there is none, as i pick up speed it starts working. Hard to turn in a parking lot.
I didn't throw a belt & fluid is good. I don't see how ******** around a little would smoke the power steering pump?? I mean this truck is st up for the Baja 1000 from the day you bought it. Any Ideas?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not a Baja 1000 truck by any means.

It's an F150 with a factory engineered mid-travel suspension and the body work to accomodate said suspension.

It has the same PS pump as a normal F150, and the same steering rack. Unlike the typical F150 though, the steering gear has to push around giant 100 lb tires.

Then you were out there sliding it sideways- think of the sideward forces exerted on the tires, and therefore the steering rack and pump. It's one thing to slide around in the snow or ice, but mud and dirt is entirely different. So much more grip, so much more damage.

Good thing is, PS pump/rack issues are by far the most problem prone part of these trucks. It's not like there are 50 other common issues you will have to address.

I'd suggest adding a big ass PS cooler if you want to keep driving it like that.

Last edited:

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like said previously these are not Baja 1000 trucks no matter what Ford says. The power steering pump is suspect in these Gen 1 Raptors. Yours is older. They tend to overheat and are standard for a F150. Try your best to diagnose and may need to upgrade if you are off roading and want reliability. Good luck

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had to replace my pump awhile ago.
Got a LOT of good info here.
Filter in the reservoir that should be replaced.
Hoses sometime need attention.
Adding a cooler and using specific fluid get mentioned.
Good luck with the fix.
And running Baja
:)

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going to guess that the OP has been running the factory PS fluid for ten years. I hope not, but if so then that could well have contributed to the failure.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% you blew the pump. Now, heres where it all gets a little hard to swallow. You could get a new pump, or, get an upgrade. These pumps are garbage, albeit, easy to install, but they suck. Save your pennies for an upgrade, (I just ordered a Lee kit) and enjoy problem free steering, well, until your rack blows out. It really is the Achilles heel for the Gen 1.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He got 10 years out of the factory pump, not that bad. If you’re not changing the way you use the truck, I’d stick with the factory new parts.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% you blew the pump. Now, heres where it all gets a little hard to swallow. You could get a new pump, or, get an upgrade. These pumps are garbage, albeit, easy to install, but they suck. Save your pennies for an upgrade, (I just ordered a Lee kit) and enjoy problem free steering, well, until your rack blows out. It really is the Achilles heel for the Gen 1.
going to have to disagree here. the oem pump works fine. its the driver. my pump lasted 172k miles before a hose split and blew my pump because i lost all fluid. i come from a background of rally and drift, and just about everyone i have talked to, end up doing something wrong that causes the pump to go. mainly 4wd and full lock on the wheel. countless people have blown their pump doing donuts and more so in 4wd. when on bumpy and rutted terrain at high speeds people are sawing at the wheel. fighting the wheel also causes these problems. you have to learn to steer with smaller wheel input and more throttle response. if anything a larger cooler would help more than a pump