Did I just destroy my power steering pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n204life

Reaction score
Popping my post cherry! Just picked up a new to me 2010 with a 6.2L. Long story short, started looking over it after I picked it up and noticed PS fluid was black. Sucked it out and filled it back up with ATF like all my other trucks. Started noticing the next day it was not very powerful and I needed to really start putting effort into steering. Now it's just tough and is whining whenever I turn it. Did putting ATF in smoke this pump?

BTW - it has since sucked out the ATF put in Valvoline Maxlife ATF put in it since it's rated for dexron and merc.

Heres a photo so I can show off the pig!

20240114_121122.jpg

OP
OP
n204life

n204life

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

What does the owners manual say for fluid? The pump might have been on its last leg with black fluid. So might not be your fault.

But I would definitely change out all of the fluids now. If the power steering fluid was skipped, I'm sure others were as well.
Yah i was wondering if the clean ATF just shocked the system and cleaned it a little too well. Kind of like doing a full flush on a transmission with 300k miles

#BlackRaptorsMatter

Black fluid is no bueño. Like @Nex it might have already been toast and the new fluid was too much to handle
Yah god knows. A full degenerate owned it before me. I got it at an auction, so I can make up in my mind what kind of person used to own it. Had a clean oil change on it, so I think the motor has been protected properly. Outside that, yah I'm doing flushes on everything!

Pro tip: to ease cleaning up afterward, do the fluid change on the neighbor's driveway. You know you hate him anyway
What, no hot tip on how to make it mess free!? I did see a good video on how to do the trans fluid by disconnecting the front cooler lines and letting the trans pump it out before dropping the pan. Was thinking maybe the PS pump I could potentially do the same? But yes, definitely making sure the kitty litter is in stock for the upcoming mess.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I did see a good video on how to do the trans fluid by disconnecting the front cooler lines and letting the trans pump it out before dropping the pan. Was thinking maybe the PS pump I could potentially do the same?

I would not advise doing this. Run things too dry, and they are toast. Just loosen the pan let it drip out. Grab a pint. Then remove the bolts from 3 sides letting the pan drop a little more. Let it drip. Grab another pint. Then drop the pan the rest of the way.

Also, change the spark plugs.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did see a good video on how to do the trans fluid by disconnecting the front cooler lines and letting the trans pump it out before dropping the pan.
You need that stupid specialty tool to disconnect those lines as they cross under the radiator. There are a couple versions.

Attachments

• 20240122_205649.jpg
    20240122_205649.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 8