GEN 1 2014 Power Steering Whine ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 14' with 83k does the same thing and I've had the fluid changed. One thing that I saw and I personally want to try as a solution would be replacing the belt tensioner. The pulley bearing wears and from watching a couple videos seems like the culprit of that whine. Keep it dirty has a video replacing it a couple times and farther back in his videos he has the original replacement which seemed to take care of that whine. I'm going to try the tensioner when the time comes for some regular maintenance, as of now the noise doesn't bother me, but also down the road I want to upgrade the power steering system.

Edit: heres 2nd vid showing the whine and it being resolved by replacing tensioner pulleys
Finally got to watch that 2nd vid, and interesting how Keep it Dirty didn't have a good experience with the Howe PS retrofit kit, and endorsed the Lee PS kit. @Guardrail said his Lee ps kit has a little whine too? I'm goin' for the tensioner, all idlers, a new belt and MAYBE Lucas ps fluid, but check out this pointer on the Lee site....?

"It is HIGHLY recommended to use our specialty formulated Lee Power Steering Fluid.
AC Delco or Valvoline non synthetic power steering fluid will work as a second choice but do not have the same Wear and Anti-Foaming additives our fluid has.
DO NOT USE ATF OR ANY TYPE OF SYNTHETIC FLUID."

If foaming has anything to do with pump whine or failure, maybe we should take heed and try theirs? Anyone tried Lee PS fluid with a stock pump? If it really does foam less, then it's GOTTA be better right? I'll call Lee and see what they say about that. I'll get two bottles, drain it once, refill it with Lee, run it a day or two and repeat....

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a reply back from the folks at Lee, they said "Our fluid is compatible with other GM non-synthetic oils. Just don't want to mix it with ATF or other synthetic oils. "

Goes with what they say in their product description. Anyone have experience with this Lee fluid? If not, I may bite the bullet and get a gallon and report back. I've got a couple vehicles that could use PS fluid flushes.