GEN 1 2014 Power Steering Whine ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently picked up a clean tuxedo black '14 Raptor Screw from a buddy and really enjoying it. It's got 130k miles and it's never been thrashed. Just got a SCT/5-star tuner from a local Raptor addict and it's a REALLY noticeable improvement in throttle response and shifting. CAI and exhaust are next, but I've noticed the power steering makes that familiar distinct whine, noticeable at slow speeds when turning. In my other vehicles, they make that noise if the fluid is low. Fill it up and they quiet up. This one has the right level of fluid. PS assist is fine otherwise.

I've searched for ideas, and most say spring for expensive aftermarket PS pump systems, but I've got to try some simple basic fixes first. Anyone quieted their pump up by changing to a different fluid? Changing the reservoir (with filter), and or adding an additional PS cooler up front? I've found a couple nice ps cooler kits for our trucks and am about to pull the trigger, but thought I'd check with y'all first?

Anyone changed to like a Lee PS reservoir with the spin-on filter? Anyone benefitted from an inline filter like a MagneFine?

What's the best ps fluid to use, to quiet this whine? My truck is mostly street driven, but enjoy bouncing around off-road here and there.

14 tuxblack raptor

Reaction score
My 14' with 83k does the same thing and I've had the fluid changed. One thing that I saw and I personally want to try as a solution would be replacing the belt tensioner. The pulley bearing wears and from watching a couple videos seems like the culprit of that whine. Keep it dirty has a video replacing it a couple times and farther back in his videos he has the original replacement which seemed to take care of that whine. I'm going to try the tensioner when the time comes for some regular maintenance, as of now the noise doesn't bother me, but also down the road I want to upgrade the power steering system.

Edit: heres 2nd vid showing the whine and it being resolved by replacing tensioner pulleys

Last edited:

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t sell anyone on snake oil, but since you asked… before I swapped my pump after I realized I had play in it… it whined. I sucked out as much old fluid as I could, and put in some Lucas branded stuff with “conditioners”. It actually helped…

When I did my swap, I had a jug of mercon LV that I put back in the system, but the Lucas honestly quieted it down.

It was one of those things where I had 2 bottles in the cabinet left over from another job and said “wth I’ll try it”.

Guardrail

Reaction score
I put the full lee power steering kit on mine. It has a slight whine. But I don't break power steering pumps anymore. I have had good results with Lucas in the past. The Lee unit uses their own fluid, I didn't want to add any additives to that.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced mine with another stock last fall.
Did flush fluid out, cleaned the reservoir, and new fluid.
If it lasts another 150,000 miles like last one; I will be OK with that.
Did yours go out or you just replace it cuz it whined? How did the brand new one sound and what fluid did you go with? I've heard you should replace the reservoir cuz it has the dirty filter in it, and it can put metal back into your new ps pump, is that so?

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 14' with 83k does the same thing and I've had the fluid changed. One thing that I saw and I personally want to try as a solution would be replacing the belt tensioner. The pulley bearing wears and from watching a couple videos seems like the culprit of that whine. Keep it dirty has a video replacing it a couple times and farther back in his videos he has the original replacement which seemed to take care of that whine. I'm going to try the tensioner when the time comes for some regular maintenance, as of now the noise doesn't bother me, but also down the road I want to upgrade the power steering system.

Edit: heres 2nd vid showing the whine and it being resolved by replacing tensioner pulleys
Funny you mention, with 130k mi I have planned a serp belt, pulleys and tensioner replacement and already have those items in my Rock Auto shopping cart. I'll do that and maybe try that Lucas PS fluid?

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t sell anyone on snake oil, but since you asked… before I swapped my pump after I realized I had play in it… it whined. I sucked out as much old fluid as I could, and put in some Lucas branded stuff with “conditioners”. It actually helped…

When I did my swap, I had a jug of mercon LV that I put back in the system, but the Lucas honestly quieted it down.

It was one of those things where I had 2 bottles in the cabinet left over from another job and said “wth I’ll try it”.
I will give that lucas PS fluid a try, good idea, thanks!

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Following. My GEN1 PS whines periodically. Typically just when it's cold. I was planning on replacing the pump. Works fine, just annoying but the tensioner video is interesting and I'd way rather change that then pump.

Last edited:

rschap1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did yours go out or you just replace it cuz it whined? How did the brand new one sound and what fluid did you go with? I've heard you should replace the reservoir cuz it has the dirty filter in it, and it can put metal back into your new ps pump, is that so?
It whined a little when I first got it.
Got a little worse.
I drew out some fluid and replaced with Lucas treatment.
Helped a little.
It finally gave up.
Barely any assist beyond manual steering.