Steering pump whining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Max FR

Reaction score
Hi everyone, changed my steering pump as it was whining constantly in curves and in straight line, but now with the new pump no more whining in straight but whines loudly in curve and when turning wheels mainly over 2000rpm.
I bleed all the air out and used Mercon V. Any ideas ?

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you clean the lines, reservoir, and filter in it?
I was told my new one would fail quick if all the old fluid and contamination stayed in the system.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, changed my steering pump as it was whining constantly in curves and in straight line, but now with the new pump no more whining in straight but whines loudly in curve and when turning wheels mainly over 2000rpm.
I bleed all the air out and used Mercon V. Any ideas ?
I'm pretty sure it uses "LV". If you are using something other, I would try LV.

R,
HAP

OP
OP
Max FR

Max FR

Reaction score
I changed all the hoses and cleaned the reservoir but not changed.
On the manual it says Mercon V but I read somewhere that Ford recommended LV after 2012 but that sounds weird, both oils must not be mixed. Mine is 2012.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed all the hoses and cleaned the reservoir but not changed.
On the manual it says Mercon V but I read somewhere that Ford recommended LV after 2012 but that sounds weird, both oils must not be mixed. Mine is 2012.
Well if yours is a 2012 or newer that would be the first thing to correct.

R,
HAP