GEN 1 Fuel pump relay fuse blows when key is inserted.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for that insight. I hate throwing parts at a problem but I was at a loss. If I don't have to, I certainly won't. Do you know any common failure points in the wiring? Or do you have any suggestions as to where I should start looking?
Start by inspecting the FPDM. It’s located on a frame crossmember toward the rear of the truck. Due to its location, it’s exposed to moisture, corrosion, dirt, debris, etc. Check the module itself as well as the harness and connector.

1693749218600.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dc17172

Reaction score
Start by inspecting the FPDM. It’s located on a frame crossmember toward the rear of the truck. Due to its location, it’s exposed to moisture, corrosion, dirt, debris, etc. Check the module itself as well as the harness and connector.

Sta myrt by inspecting the FPDM. It’s located on a frame crossmember toward the rear of the truck. Due to its location, it’s exposed to moisture, corrosion, dirt, debris, etc. Check the module itself as well as the harness and connector.

View attachment 422358
I have already replaced the module itself. I'll inspect the harness and wires leading up to it. Thanks you!

OP
OP
D

dc17172

Reaction score
The FPDM and connector is fine. I inspected it and the connections appeared good. I unplugged the FPDM and inserted the key and it blew the fuse again. I did notice the ground wires on the crossmember are a bit weak and rusted. I'm going to address it tomorrow. Hopefully that is the culprit. Here's a picture of the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_201427440.jpg
    IMG_20230904_201427440.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
D

dc17172

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I have tracked the fuse-popping culprit to a purple-tealish wire coming from the fuel pump relay in the fuse box. I can't figure out what the purpose of the wire is. I could not find and breaks or corrosion on the wire. I did cut it for diagnostic reasons and it no longer blows the fuse. The truck will not start with it cut. I'm hoping someone has the pin-out and wiring diagram for the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay. Thanks

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I have tracked the fuse-popping culprit to a purple-tealish wire coming from the fuel pump relay in the fuse box. I can't figure out what the purpose of the wire is. I could not find and breaks or corrosion on the wire. I did cut it for diagnostic reasons and it no longer blows the fuse. The truck will not start with it cut. I'm hoping someone has the pin-out and wiring diagram for the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay. Thanks
The violet wire with a green tracer is the power feed to the fuel pump control module. It also supplies power to the fuel injectors, so if an injector or circuit is shorted that will also blow the fuse. You can split up the circuit for testing purposes by disconnecting C1581 and/or C1010 to isolate the shorted circuit or component.

OP
OP
D

dc17172

Reaction score
The violet wire with a green tracer is the power feed to the fuel pump control module. It also supplies power to the fuel injectors, so if an injector or circuit is shorted that will also blow the fuse. You can split up the circuit for testing purposes by disconnecting C1581 and/or C1010 to isolate the shorted circuit or component.
Man, I can't thank you enough. I'm on my way home to diagnose more. I'll update later. Thank you so much!