Power steering fluid type confirmation please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yupp. 3 weeks ago they said it would be at the anodizers 1-2 weeks and would express ship it to me. Hopefully this week Ill have it along with my new SCT X3 with 5 star tunes loaded on it

Hmmmm... I seem to remember the anodizer took a longer time than expected on the first batch of these. Hang in there. Luckily it's an easy 15 minute install.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you flush the PS system? All I see is a big 1 1/4 inch plug at the bottom of the rack in line with the steering shaft, and I'm a bit cautious to turn it without confirmation. But other than that, I see no way to drain fluid from the system. Help please.

BTW, the manual says to use Merecon V.

Last edited:

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the high pressure return line & run it into a catch container. You'll also need to plug the fitting on the reservoir so fluid won't leak out.

You'll need a helper for this next part. One person it's upfront armed with a container of fluid and the other is in the truck. Start the truck and let the power steering pump push the old fluid out. At the same time add fresh fluid to the reservoir to keep it from ruining dry. There is not a lot of room for a large catch can so i ended up shutting the truck off after I filled the container part way, emptying it then repeating the process till I got out about 2.5 qts. Might need to use more fluid to flush out the system, just depend on how bad the fluid in the system is. Really just want the fluid coming our to look like the fluid your pouring in.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Donk, I'm puzzled. The return line isn't a high pressure line. And why wouldn't I want to drain the reservoir?

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Donk, I'm puzzled. The return line isn't a high pressure line. And why wouldn't I want to drain the reservoir?

Ruger sorry that was not very clear.

The smaller line is the one you want to remove. It "returns" the fluid under pressure to the reservoir after it has gone through the pump and steering rack. The larger low pressure line returns (feeds) the pump.

You can drain the reservoir before you start to flush the system, you'll just need to fill it with clean fluid. You do not however want to run the pump dry so make sure the reservoir alwas has fluid in it.

Hope that clears up my improper use of termonology

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to watch it carefully.. I tried doing it with one person. The catch can slipped, and I tried to save it from making a mess. It sucked the reservoir dry and the pump got a big gulp of air and now my once quiet pump sounds like a 94 Ford Taurus..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, that helps a lot. But what's that big plug on the bottom of the rack in line with the steering shaft for? Does it adjust something in the steering gear? Or might it be used as a drain plug and simplify this whole procedure into a drain and fill exercise that one person can do?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, that helps a lot. But what's that big plug on the bottom of the rack in line with the steering shaft for? Does it adjust something in the steering gear? Or might it be used as a drain plug and simplify this whole procedure into a drain and fill exercise that one person can do?

That's a good question, but I know there isn't any fluid in there. Otherwise it would leak out the tie rod boot.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119