Power steering fluid type confirmation please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually there is a way for one person to get it done. Take the low pressure line loose from the hydroboost unit itself and plug it with a bolt. Replace it at the hydroboost return with a 6-8ft piece of rubber hose and hang that over the quarter panel into a 5 gallon bucket and secure it with something so that it drains and is also out a little from the truck so that you can see it. Start the truck and pump the brake and turn the wheel three times each and shut the truck down. Refill the res and repeat. DO NOT continue to pump the brake and turn the wheel until you can hear the pump whine. This can cause damage. Take your time and flush a little at a time and you can do it cleanly and safely in your driveway. Continue to flush until the fluid changes color. Doing it this way, you can also watch the fluid coming out of the hose into the bucket and see how nasty it really is.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know, that's a pain in the nether regions. I'm just going to drain and refill the PS reservoir every oil change.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a machine at the dealer that would flush the system. It worked OK.... I'd drain and refill the reservoir every so often like ruger suggested for the easiest way to go. Other option is to pull the return hose from the rack and extend it to a bucket (plug the reservoir port) and keep a constant flow of new fluid going into the reservoir while working the steering wheel back and forth. Also doesn't hurt to jack up the front tires off the ground so your not working the steering real hard in the event you draw some air into the pump.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am simply going to make two drain/refills of the PS reservoir part of my oil change routine. I'll have to turn in the dirty oil/fluid a day later to let the PS fluid circulate between drain/refills, but that's not an inconvenience. BTW, I discovered that a good catch can for this job is one of those big 25 ounce cans of beer with the top cut off. (The mechanic gets to drink the beer, of course.)

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Speaking power steering.... Is it a bitch to change out the pump? I have a new one, and debating if I should change it out before the Bullrun...

-Greg (aka squatting dog)