Ok what’s next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Stanstyle

Stanstyle

Reaction score
Still doesn't answer the question. So I will take it as a daily driver with lite off roading.

@GooseTuned is king on these trucks. Even without mods.

Save your money on a CAI. Just need a factory filter and you are set until you upgrade the twins. E85 if available in your area.

Are you staying with 35s or are you thinking 37s?

Aftermarket bump stops. Either RPG, Camburg or SVC with Fox or King bumps.

Shocks need to be rebuilt around 50k miles.

Headlights are a joke. Recommend fog lights.

After that, you start going down a few different rabbit holes. I would spend some time looking at other's build threads for ideas and direction.

Ask questions of other's. Put gas in her and keep her dirty. Most of all, have fυςking fun.
This is beautiful information thank you. You hit it right with daily and minor off-roading. Like I said mostly trails or trips in AZ and Utah and some hiking trips the and on the AT.
No plans for 37’s just yet. I have already been looking at fog light kits. Looks like I’m will start looking into Goosetuned tuning.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goosetuned hands down for customer service alone. I daily my 2020. CVF stock location intercooler/AEM drop in dry filter (for maint)/Goosetuned Stage 2/Deaver +2 HD rear springs (occasionally tow a boat)/Alcon six piston brakes (would do Wilwoods these days). Oh, and Forscan tweaks. May add a DSC Sport shock controller and thats about it for my purposes until I decide "more" is required. Been pretty happy thus far for years though. You don't have to spend a ton if your not chasing TRXs/cars or prerunning Baja.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Traction bars or KHC torque arm. big improvement getting power to the ground.
I’m re-emphasizing this based on the clarification.

I’d do this, and the CVFAB i/c first, BEFORE the tune. Because the tune will be great. For exactly one 10 second pull. After that in the summer heat your truck will be seeing increased air charge temps, start pulling timing like mad to keep the engine healthy.

I’ve seen some claims that with no other mods you can actually pick up some small # of hp with just an intercooler but have never seen that substantiated. It absolutely will help you maintain as much HP/tq as possible, even in triple digit heat.

The stock Rap suspension is great for what it is; early 20th century technology. The Jen Too makes over 500 foot pounds of torque and will deliver full boost in fractions of a second. When that happens you’ll overwhelm the rear leafs, lift the left rear tire, right will plant and twist the axle, rear wheel will land, bounce & deflect the axle the other way and repeat until traction is regained. Go do a 2 Hi dirt or sand burnout.

OR you could watch the chase scene from Bullitt for a beautiful view of axle wrap and hop. There is no practical amount or type of aftermarket leaf spring that will fix, address or even work around this concern short of springs so stiff that they’re non-compliant.

Traction bars will fix this. A torque arm will fix about 95-97% of it.
Full disclosure, I have the torque arm and I like it and would do again. That said, the traction bars are more solid, but I did the torque arm install in my driveway with hand tools....

I don’t think he’ll -need- bumps yet @Nex ... unless his ‘lite off-road’ regimen includes sending it... ? Yet being the operative word.
@Stanstyle
what does your inventory of off road and get unstuck equipment look like?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
@smurfslayer brings up a great point on the traction bars. I recently installed the SVC ones and just with normal driving around town the rear feels more planted.

I recommend the bumps even in light off roading, because that has a tendency to become more aggressive once you are off pavement. Happens every time.

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m re-emphasizing this based on the clarification.

I’d do this, and the CVFAB i/c first, BEFORE the tune. Because the tune will be great. For exactly one 10 second pull. After that in the summer heat your truck will be seeing increased air charge temps, start pulling timing like mad to keep the engine healthy.

I’ve seen some claims that with no other mods you can actually pick up some small # of hp with just an intercooler but have never seen that substantiated. It absolutely will help you maintain as much HP/tq as possible, even in triple digit heat.

The stock Rap suspension is great for what it is; early 20th century technology. The Jen Too makes over 500 foot pounds of torque and will deliver full boost in fractions of a second. When that happens you’ll overwhelm the rear leafs, lift the left rear tire, right will plant and twist the axle, rear wheel will land, bounce & deflect the axle the other way and repeat until traction is regained. Go do a 2 Hi dirt or sand burnout.

OR you could watch the chase scene from Bullitt for a beautiful view of axle wrap and hop. There is no practical amount or type of aftermarket leaf spring that will fix, address or even work around this concern short of springs so stiff that they’re non-compliant.

Traction bars will fix this. A torque arm will fix about 95-97% of it.
Full disclosure, I have the torque arm and I like it and would do again. That said, the traction bars are more solid, but I did the torque arm install in my driveway with hand tools....

I don’t think he’ll -need- bumps yet @Nex ... unless his ‘lite off-road’ regimen includes sending it... ? Yet being the operative word.
@Stanstyle
what does your inventory of off road and get unstuck equipment look like?
Great clarification. Don't agree about the:
address or even work around this concern short of springs so stiff that they’re non-compliant.
Great post but think your assessment above of axle wrap is a bit harsh for many. Although no leaf spring will alleviate it, my personal experience with the 11 leaf +2 HD Deavers says it greatly reduces the effects of said flex/wrap to almost imperceptible for AVERAGE Joe. Average Joe daily drives and is not trying to make a 1/4 mile car of a truck (although many do). I find the HDs in my application far from non-compliant says someone who merely dipped a toe in the Rally scene. Now thats NOT to say torque arm/bars wouldn't absolutely be the best option for better controlling the problem but bet the juice for the squeeze may not be there for many.

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and my OE rear springs went flat before 20k. So I needed a replacement regardless. I suspect most would be better served with the Deaver SD or regular non-HD springs. However, I have ZERO experience with those and don't know that they'd reduce wrap as much as the HDs. So there is that.

OP
OP
Stanstyle

Stanstyle

Reaction score
man you guys are great, thank you all for the feedback. I will go ahead and order the intercooler today and I have reach out to Goosetuned. I am going to also start looking at some threads on which traction bars and why.

Do I “need” to order any of the additional parts for the intercooler for install? Is CVFAB the best website to order it from or do you recommend a forum vendor that may or may not have it priced lower or running Memorial Day sale?

Thanks again to all.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man you guys are great, thank you all for the feedback. I will go ahead and order the intercooler today and I have reach out to Goosetuned. I am going to also start looking at some threads on which traction bars and why.

Do I “need” to order any of the additional parts for the intercooler for install? Is CVFAB the best website to order it from or do you recommend a forum vendor that may or may not have it priced lower or running Memorial Day sale?

Thanks again to all.
@GooseTuned can get you most everything you need. One stop shop.
Am im not 100% sure but think the trac bars will require welding so won't be a bolt on items