My Ride...So Far

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I have some picture space here (thanks for that) I can post pics of our ride! Here's where I'm at so far. Weather permitting, I'd like to get my driving lights on and possibly "activate" my back lit SVT vents on the sides. I still need to save some money and get Line-X to do the bed. Next will be ambient lighting for the foot wells, then I'd like to light the cargo bed under the bed rails so I can see inside with the tonneau cover in place/in the dark with the tonneau cover on. I also need to get a second coat of red on the lower control arms and would like to do the entire rear axle in red. I think it'll look sa-weet. :rockon:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice work John, it looks great! Thanks for sharing your mods and your plans with us.

Painting the control arms is not something I would've thought of - very creative!

I've wanted to add bed lighting from day one but I need some help understanding how best to run power to the bed for the lighting and the one or two remote 12v outlets I want to put in the back of the bed.

Whose mudflaps are those (mfg)?

Did you take the parts off the truck to paint them or did the painter/mechanic? Did you do it yourself? What kind of prep work did you do and what paint did you use?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
JohntheDrummer

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dan! The mud flaps I got at our Local Fleet Farm. I don't think you have them in your neck of the woods, but they are nice and only cost me like $23 a pair! I don't recall the manufacturer, but I just couldn't see spending $140+ for mud flaps, and the Vortex just didn't fit my taste. The contol arm painting was done by myself, I used implement paint! You just have to read labels because some implement paint is spray-on application only and I didn't want to do a messy job and have overspray everywhere. I simply took off the front wheels, took my time and used an artist's brush in the tight places. As long as you don't rush and have a steady hand, it's all good! That's why I need to get back under there and finish up. I plan to paint the "SVT" black when I'm all done. Prep was simple just clean it up with something that doesn't leave a residue, and off you go! I even found that the "Ford Red" was a perfect match to the red EL tape I'll be using to back light the SVT side vents! Bonus!

OP
OP
JohntheDrummer

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got some more done yesterday! Maybe more today with the painting, we'll see. I got my driving lights mounted and hooked into AUX #1, and put in my back-lit red SVT EL tape. MAN, that is one cool mod! Looks awesome on a black Raptor, day OR night. I wired that into AUX #2. Today I give it it's first wash & wax. I've had the box of Mother's clay-bar polish (kit) on my work bench before I even had the truck! Once I get 'er all clean & shined up, it's photo time!!! I also did step-by-step photos for those of you who would like to do the back-lit SVT mod. It was on that "other" site, but if someone asks, I'll be glad to do a instructional write-up on it with photos. Heck, it's what I do for a living anyway and at least I don't have to comply with Mil-Spec if I write a procedure (bonus)!!:w00t:

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was on that "other" site, but if someone asks, I'll be glad to do a instructional write-up on it with photos. Heck, it's what I do for a living anyway and at least I don't have to comply with Mil-Spec if I write a procedure (bonus)!!:w00t:

No need for someone to ask, go ahead and post it. I know I would appreciate it.

Sounds like you did a lot of late. Watiin' on those pics.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great stuff John! I would really like to see your procedure for the backlit SVT install. I like the way you work. Would love to have some distance shots so you could see the total effect of the red highlights. Did you paint the upper control arms as well?

Thanks again!

Falcon