2018 Raptor Lug Nuts ...just my take!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmar311

Reaction score
So probably one of the dumbest things I've seen from Ford. Why would you not put 1-piece solid lug nuts on a truck that is "supposedly" almost "race ready". The amount of frustration I had to go through to change my tire was beyond ridiculous, which most of you already know. for those of you that don't know, Ford installed 2 piece lugnuts on the 2018 Gen 2 which apparently is supposed to provide a better cosmetically looking lugnut? No clue as to true reason why...probably cost cutting measure. Anyway, as a result the lugnuts swell so the OEM tire iron does not fit on them if they do. also, the lugnut 'cap' can spin and u'll never get the lugnut off on a routine tire change on the side of the road. Luckily I was at home and came to my driveway to a completely flat tire due to a nail. If this happened to me on the roadside and I was stranded, I woulda been beyond pi553d off. Also, the OEM collapsable jack they provide is a joke. Upon first try it completely bent due the height of the truck...so it's abolutely pointless. I guess I'll have to carry a floorjack in the bed going forward?

So upon learning that a normal tire change process wasnt happening, I had to pound on a socket to a few of the lugnuts to get them off. the supplied tire iron fit none of the lug nuts. then there was one that just absolutely would not come off. So I had to get a 1 1/8 hole saw and literally shred the crap out of the cap to get down to the actual bare lugnut. Finally got everything done but the tools I had to use to change my tire are not tools that would just be readily available in your truck as a daily driver.

So I'm now in the procees of switching out all of my OEM lugnuts for 1-piece solid lugnuts. Why I have to spend $180 to do this is absolutely ridiculous.

So purpose o fmy post is if you havent done it yet, do yourself a HUGE favor and save yourself a huge headache and go swap out all your lugnuts on the Gen 2. Ford may have corrected this issue later on but I'll let the technical gearheads chime in on that and provide the accurate information.

You guys always help me out so I wanted to post this in hope that it helps anyone that was not aware. And Ford stop being so cheap and just do it right the first time!

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
My worst fear. As I'm sure you're well aware by now (and hopefully for future folks who see this), order a set of McGards or Gorillas and avoid this at all costs. Glad you were able to get it sorted!

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya those 2 piece nuts are stupid. Someone on here had to drill out the studs and replace them including the lug nuts.

Get Mcgards. I put them on the Bronco too.

IMG_4779.jpeg

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya those 2 piece nuts are stupid. Someone on here had to drill out the studs and replace them including the lug nuts.

Get Mcgards. I put them on the Bronco too.

View attachment 446670
That's what I put on also. That was the one of the first things I did when I got my truck. I saw a few guys on here had some issues with the Gorilla's, nobody that I've seen has had an issue with McGuard.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Dude? You think you hade it bad. We had an FRF with lug nuts _impact wrenched_ on at seemingly full power, stripping SEVERAL of the studs. That dude’s post was EPIC, we’re talking difficulty the level of The Odyssey - and dude repaired all that $hit himself.

So remember: It can always get worse.

Yeah, the stock lug nuts are cr@p. replace them. Accept the Raptor tax and move on. Oh, and get a decent jack. Lots of guys have the pro-eagle, I and a few others picked up the harbor freight badlands.
So purpose o fmy post is if you havent done it yet, do yourself a HUGE favor and save yourself a huge headache and go swap out all your lugnuts on the Gen 2. Ford may have corrected this issue later on but I'll let the technical gearheads chime in on that and provide the accurate information.

Yeah, we’re throwing some minor shade here, but you’re right. Because the last place you want to find out is on the side of the road. Well... ok, maybe 30+ miles from a paved road, but point taken. Good reminder.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got aftermarket lugs that have the same size shoulder as oem. i dont like the ones that have a smaller shoulder. did you use the jack extension as well? these lugs have been around forever. lots of posts about the lugs swelling. without the cap, the oem lugs are 19mm. we had to do a swap in the desert with a truck with lugs thwt had swelled. we took a flathead screwdriver and hammer and pulled the caps off

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Been there done that, after Discount tire swelled my lugs with their air ratchet and wrong socket. Bought Dorman solid lugs for $60 and now never have to worry about caped lugs failing. P.S. they did the same thing to the wife's Jeep Cherokee.