Music on flash drive Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, jugg is just probably hungover again.

ruger, if the drive has been reformatted to fat 32 and it still does not play, i would suggest a new one.

an mp4 is a video file an mp3 is audio, therefore they cannot be converted to be saved as.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
no, jugg is just probably hungover again.

ruger, if the drive has been reformatted to fat 32 and it still does not play, i would suggest a new one.

an mp4 is a video file an mp3 is audio, therefore they cannot be converted to be saved as.

no hang over, i think it is flu, as my muscles feel weak n tired. non of the other symptoms so far of flu, but definatly feel way off.

and yes you can convert mp4 to mp3, its NOT just for video files.

Because MP4 is a container format, it does not have a standard method of coding the audio or video information. Instead, codecs dictate how the audio or video will be coded and possibly compressed. For audio, Advanced Audio Coding, or AAC, is the most popular codec for compressing audio for transfer on the internet.

and thats why its not as supported by media players as MP3 is.

Ruger, i dunno if i have any mp4 audio files, ill check. im not gonna go looking as there was a time i was "watching" lots of movies n things, and i got some letters about it.... so i need to be a good boy for a while, but i will see what i got.

as for converting, here is a free highly rated converter from download.com. i dont remember which one my sister used for her kids cheapo mp3 players, but i know she had to do the same thing to get her stuff downloaded from itunes to work. anyway heres a link to a highly rated free one. Free M4a to MP3 Converter - CNET Download.com

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a M3U file? Thats what mine is saving as.

That is a playlist file. All it is is a list of songs. No actual music.

Mp4's definitely won't work. neither will MPEG-4 audio (M4A's... this is what Apple Lossless is). My advice is to convert to WMA or Mp3 (though you'll be able to better match the quality of the Mpeg4's with wma). To do this I would check out this program: dbPoweramp

This is what I use and it works great. It even has a batch converter that can do multiple files at once making it a very easy process. Good Luck!

OP
OP

64auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got it, i think. Now i made 2 new folders for the playlist. The only way i can select playlist is by going to explore usb in the Raptor to select folder. I see where it has a selection for playlist but it says no playlist found. How can i get the folders to show up in playlist?

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got it, i think. Now i made 2 new folders for the playlist. The only way i can select playlist is by going to explore usb in the Raptor to select folder. I see where it has a selection for playlist but it says no playlist found. How can i get the folders to show up in playlist?

I do not think it sees folders, not in mine anyway.

I do not put my play lists in a seprate folder, just drop the .m3u file with all the rest of your music, make sure all the files listed on the playlist are their.

The Raptor will sort the play lists from the rest for you when you go to explore the USB.

---------- Post added 01-13-2013 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-12-2013 at 11:57 PM ----------

Mike, Jugg, would you please run a cheap experiment for me? If you would, please, take a drive that you know works in the Raptor and put an MP4 file and an MPEG-4 Audio file on it (I'm not certain that they are not the same thing) and see if it'll play in your Raptor. If it plays, then my problem is clearly the thumb drive I'm trying to use. If it won't play, then we'll know that MP4 files are incompatible with the Ford Sync system. Either way we'll all learn something important.

I have no mp4 files. Tried to down load some 20 second preview songs from a few sites and it downloads as an MP3. ??? The sites say its an MP4.

I would jump into walmart get one USB and try, if it does not work you could bring it back till you get one that works. Last resort, I will send you one that works in my Raptor.