Car Play - Plays Music on iPhone not speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2023 Raptor
iPhone XR

When I connect my phone wirelessly to CarPlay, about 1/2 the time it plays the music on my phone rather than the speakers. I can pause/play/fwd/etc pressing the buttons on the truck's touch screen but it's controlling and playing on the phone itself. I can't imagine a scenario where anyone would want this as a feature. Has anyone else experienced this? I am updating my iPhone right now to 17.1 so maybe that will fix.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you starting the music on your phone or on the truck screen? I have it happen sometimes when I find a song on my phone and play it vs finding the song via the truck screen.

awd5906

Reaction score
I have the same issue since the latest iOS update. I have to reconnect the phone multiple time to fix this. Turning WiFi on and off on the phone does the trick. It helps to have music apps closed but that doesn’t work always. Fwiw I also get a black Google maps screen frequently which is super annoying. Reconnecting fixes this as well.