Music on flash drive Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get them over to flash drive? I have made diffrent folders on flash drive and try to drag from Itunes to it but want let me drop them in the folder.

Reformatted the thumb to Fat32, then copied the folders I wanted from the iTunes folder, and pasted them in the drive. Took a long time for MFT to index the thumb, but after that it has worked fine. I do get a warning everytime I switch to that USB about MFT won't play protected music.. and then it continues on like normal.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get them over to flash drive? I have made diffrent folders on flash drive and try to drag from Itunes to it but want let me drop them in the folder.

You have to copy the files from the actual disc. doing so through the Itunes program won't work. You need to find the actual location your music files are stored on your hard disc, select and Copy them(CTRL+C), and then Paste them (CTRL+V) on your usb drive. Use Windows Explorer to do it. The Actual Itunes Program has nothing to do with it.

If you're having trouble finding your files, then you can use iTunes. Find the song you want to copy in itunes. Right click on it and select "Show in Windows Explorer. Most likely All of your music will be in this same folder. click "Organize" in the upper left of the windows explorer program and pick "Select All". Press the 'CTRL' and 'C' keys simultaneously to copy the selected files. select your usb drive on the left of the screen and then press the 'CTRL' and 'V' keys simultaneously to paste them into the usb drive.

Hope That helps! :smile:

The songs have to be in .mp3 That will be at the end of the song when you look in the drive. Most likely it is. Its the file extension. So it will look like...... Star spangle banner.mp3

This isn't exactly true. File extensions can also be .aac and .wma... probably a few others as well.

I just posted a thread on this the other day, actually. Goes into some more technical detail on which extensions are allowed and what level of audio quality the Sync system can deal with in those formats. To summarize all MP3's and AAC files should work fine. In addition, all WMA files will work as well(including those encoded losslessly) providing they are not also encoded in 5.1 surround sound. I have a 1000+ songs I ripped direct from CD's in Apple lossless (.m4a). They wouldn't work on the usb drive, but when I converted them all over to WMA at the same audio quality (bit for bit copy of the original CD) they worked perfectly.

OP
OP

64auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 computers. On the older one all i have to do is click and drag songs to flash drive with no problems. That computer is so slow and freezes up alot. So i try out on the newer one and even when the drive opens it has a different layout and you have select songs then hit export to move then to drive. will not play in truck. When you put it back in computer to try and play them , as soon as i select a song out opens itunes and plays it.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jugg and Mike,
I hereby elevate you both to sainthood. Thanks for being patient with me.
Approved and signed this day, 11 January 2013
Ruger

But it still doesn't work. My daughter made me a thumb drive of some of my old favorites - 70's and '80s, one hit wonders, etc. That thumb drive will not play in the truck. I copied all of those music files onto the hard disk of my computer, formated a good qualtiy 2G diskGO thumb drive in FAT32, and copied the music from the hard disk of the computer over to the 2G thumb drive. All of the songs are visible on the new drive and will play on the computer. Used the voice command feature in the truck, and the very nice lady said that the selection would not play. What the heck am I doing wrong? The dog has its shots, the laundry is done, and I'm not doing this on company time. The file descriptions are a mixture of MPEG-4 Audio, MP3 Format Sound, and MP4 File.

Last edited:

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
im thinking the mpeg-4 and mp4 files are gonna be the culprits, as i dont think they are supported. im not posative and a quick google search netted me a whole lotta nothing..... ima look into it further for ya, but right now i feel like a bag of smashed ******** for some reason. hoping a meal will make me feel better, if it does, ill be back on the job, if not, well ill hafta turn it over to Mike for the rest of the night and maybe just go to bed.

but we will get this figgerd out fer ya. ill be back.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tag made........... I am in

I would move those songs off the drive. So now you have a clean USB with nothing on it. I would try just one song at a time start with the MP3 see if it plays in the Raptor.

If it does not its the USB drive. When I had that problem it played fine in my computer but not the raptor.

You could get a new drive or I bought extras I could send you one that I know works in my Raptor. If it does not work in yours then there is a problem. Try what I said first.

OP
OP

64auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine works fine in the Raptor if put on the drive with the old computer. when i load songs off of the computer on to the same drive all it says is unreadable media. Same exact songs of f of itunes with the drive erased before I tried it. Tried putting drive in my sons computer and when I clicked on the song out wanted to know what program created it.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find that my friends have been working OT on my behalf. Thanks very much, you guys.

Taking your advice one step further, I reformatted the thumb drive twice. There are only three MP3 songs on the drive that my daughter made for me, so I copied only those three to the reformatted drive. No joy. Same results as before.

It's the thumb drive itself, you think? Geeze, it's Government Issue! Yeah, we used to be able to use thumb drives at work. Very handy, you know. But then somebody did something way stupid, and they've been declared a security risk for years now. So since the drive can't be used at work or for work, I took it home to try putting the music my daughter sent me for Father's Day on it. It says "diskGO by EDGE" on it, and it's a 2G drive. Could it be too obsolete for the Raptor to recognize? (It's probably 3 to 5 years old, but its only been used once until now.) Or maybe the Raptor, being a 2011 model, has software that's dated or immature?

Or maybe this is a Comedy of Stupid and I'm Stupid. Could be. I date back to when the new fangled computer-thing was first introduced to my outfit on an Army post. It was a double floppy drive ****. (Anybody remember 360K floppy disks? They were quite trendy once.) With that computer you put your program (Lotus 123, WordPerfect, etc.) in one drive and your save disk in another. If you wanted to go from your word processing program to your spreadsheet program, you had to start from first principles with that thing. Operating system was DOS - Disk Operating System. That system I understood pretty well. But the day they introduced Windows was the day I became a computer has-been.

Mike, Jugg, would you please run a cheap experiment for me? If you would, please, take a drive that you know works in the Raptor and put an MP4 file and an MPEG-4 Audio file on it (I'm not certain that they are not the same thing) and see if it'll play in your Raptor. If it plays, then my problem is clearly the thumb drive I'm trying to use. If it won't play, then we'll know that MP4 files are incompatible with the Ford Sync system. Either way we'll all learn something important.

Related question: Can an MP4 file be saved as an MP3 file?

Jugg, are you feeling better this AM? I hope you're not getting either the intestinal virus or the flu. My wife is a Med Tech in the lab of the local hospital here, and they are covered up with patients suffering from both of those.

Last edited: