Kicker Sub Upgrade How-To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, the install instructions only show tapping signal and power & ground. I was wondering if it needed a turn on wire but it may use signal sense, I had not heard of signal sense so I learned something new.
you are using signsl sense. not the best turn on source. you may have issues with system turning off or staying on

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check settings on the radio. speed compensated volume. bass setting, etc. also need to know what kind of amp turn on is being used

I'm assuming this is for me, right? I have the speed compensation off, my bass is at +3. I do not know what kind of amp turn on is being used? I am not very technically inclined with these things. I'm thinking of taking into a shop. What sort of things should I tell them it could be?

Thanks again for the help! I have been lost the past couple week about this...

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is for me, right? I have the speed compensation off, my bass is at +3. I do not know what kind of amp turn on is being used? I am not very technically inclined with these things. I'm thinking of taking into a shop. What sort of things should I tell them it could be?

Thanks again for the help! I have been lost the past couple week about this...
check the amp. look at the power connection. how may wires are there? or upload a pic

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the amp. look at the power connection. how may wires are there? or upload a pic

Again, I don't know much about this...but isn't the power for the sub connected straight to the battery? I think that was part of what had to be done to make this kit work for our Sony systems. The noise is definitely coming from the sub and only the sub.

If you still think a pic of the amp would be useful, I'll definitely take one. The amp is located in the kick panel area of the passenger seat, right? Again, I don't know shit about any of this...

Thanks again for the help!!!

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, I don't know much about this...but isn't the power for the sub connected straight to the battery? I think that was part of what had to be done to make this kit work for our Sony systems. The noise is definitely coming from the sub and only the sub.

If you still think a pic of the amp would be useful, I'll definitely take one. The amp is located in the kick panel area of the passenger seat, right? Again, I don't know shit about any of this...

Thanks again for the help!!!
not sure where the amp is located on those kicker things. but there is a battery connection as well as a turn on connection. sometimes the turn on connection is a signal sense and not a 12v power. this can cause issues with the amp sending signal when it shouldnt. as well as other problems. (that are not related to your specific issue)

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the connection detailed in this thread using the existing sub wires and not the speaker tap. Much better sound and no noise.

Last edited:

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the connection detailed in this thread using the existing sub wires and not the speaker tap. Much better sound and no noise.

I had it professionally installed and I think they kept/threw away the stock sub connection. I am tempted to go back and see if they still have it somewhere though

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

not sure where the amp is located on those kicker things. but there is a battery connection as well as a turn on connection. sometimes the turn on connection is a signal sense and not a 12v power. this can cause issues with the amp sending signal when it shouldnt. as well as other problems. (that are not related to your specific issue)

So the install on this kicker kit uses the stock Sony amp. That one is located in the passenger kick panel deal, right? So is the turn on connection on the amp or the sub? Thanks again for the help!

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If he doesn't find stock connecter can't he just splice the kicker amp into the stock line in that should still be under his carpet? Unless the installer ripped that out

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

I had it professionally installed and I think they kept/threw away the stock sub connection. I am tempted to go back and see if they still have it somewhere though

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

So the install on this kicker kit uses the stock Sony amp. That one is located in the passenger kick panel deal, right? So is the turn on connection on the amp or the sub? Thanks again for the help!

Kicker sub has its own amp... The stock Sony amp can power the door speakers if you bought those.... The amp will auto turn on once it receives signal as long as you ran power cable to battery for it.... It should get its input from the factory line in that went to your Sony originally.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he doesn't find stock connecter can't he just splice the kicker amp into the stock line in that should still be under his carpet? Unless the installer ripped that out

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Kicker sub has its own amp... The stock Sony amp can power the door speakers if you bought those.... The amp will auto turn on once it receives signal as long as you ran power cable to battery for it.... It should get its input from the factory line in that went to your Sony originally.

Thanks man, yeah, he did seem to rip out the whole stock harness deal for the stock sub. Don't know where that is at now. I searched around in there tonight and did see what I think you are talking about with the power cord coming from the battery and going to the sub. The installer definitely did run the power straight to the battery.

I haven't been able to spot the brown and green wire harness deal that should have come with the kit, either installed or in the box of extras. I have some suspiciouns that he might not have installed that. I think I am going to try to get to a shop again and see what they say. I'm trying to line up getting another amp under warranty too.

Does everyone think it's a wiring issue or is it a defective amp on the sub? The installer did definitely seem to know his stuff and spent an hour or more after his install to try to trouble shoot. I'm thinking it might be a defective amp on the sub...

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone has said that when wired like the instructions state that come with the kicker it doesn't sound right. When you wire it like stated it this thread it sounds better. Sucks that you have to go to a shop again. If you were near SLO I would check how the installer wired it up