Kicker Sub Upgrade How-To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got done installing the Kicker sub upgrade for my SCab and holy shit. This is the sub that should have come with the truck from the factory. I used to have the factory Sony sub at +5 in the sound settings just to get any response from it and I have it at -3 because of how much response there is now. For those confused about what will and will not work, this is what I've come to. If you have the 801A package with the 5.1 Sony System, without any hacking or splicing, only the sub upgrade will work. If you have the luxury package or the stock Ford paper speakers, the entire "SoundStage" package will work. Also remember that there is SCab/SCrew specific kits as the SCab sub is placed on the driver side and the Sony sub is removed, and the SCrew sub replaces the Sony sub exactly where it is. If you feel like hacking, splicing, and "MacGyvering" the connectors and wiring, you can get the SoundStage to work with the full Sony system. I chose not to go that route.

If you're not looking for a headache trying to figure all the wiring out with a custom box/sub/system, absolutely buy this kit. All the wiring is laid out and all you have to do is pass one wire through the firewall and one harness under the floor mat and underneath the door sill and connect 4 plugs together and tap into two existing wires. That's it. Had I not taken pictures and made everything OCD-clean, it would have taken me maybe 30 minutes to install all this.

The install is extremely straight forward and all you need to do is follow the instructions but I did run into one misstep by Kicker when it comes to tapping into the white and white/brown wire for the sub's signal which I will detail below.

This is everything that comes with the kit excluding the big sub box, of course. In the second picture, everything with the red circle is optional/not used/I didn't use. I personally chose not to drill into my floor plan just to be able to place my jack on the other side. It's honestly stupid that Kicker says to do that. Everything circled in green you can use, but you only need one additional clip and screw if you remove the clips and screws from your existing sub mount.
OyCSRNw.png
PHhr1G7.png

Kicker moves the sub from the passenger side to the driver side. If you have Weathertechs like I do, Weathertech says the "sub upgrade interferes with the rear floor mat" but honestly, some coaxing and slight trimming/cutting and it works just fine. Those holes where the jack mount used to be will be covered up by the supplied circular stickers.
avxOXYH.png

I'm not sure how Kicker wants us to interpret the instructions but it appears they just want us to place the wire over the intake and coolant reservoir. Maybe I'm taking the diagram too literal, I'm not sure. I pulled my stock airbox off (and the coolant reservoir since it's all one piece) and actually zip-tied the wire to the main harness from the breaker box all the way to the inside of the truck.

Here is how I have mine routed.
zeOO7Jo.png
NAYircv.png
qN6tZuO.png
zGJdBrK.png
2eg2h5z.png

Kicker also says to cut an "X" into the little dimple on the grommet but I took one of those pick/hook tools and put a hole in it, then shoved the wire through so there's a better seal. You can get them at Harbor Freight for like two bucks for the set of four with different angles.
QsLs2DN.png

Inside the truck behind the parking brake release lever:
FFhclET.png

Now, as I said, the entire instructions are extremely straight forward except for this part. The picture that Kicker says where you tap into the wire for the sub's signal is wrong. It's not the harness behind the kick panel and the hood latch so don't waste your time cutting the electrical tape from that harness. It does help to have the kick panel removed though.

The correct harness and wires are in the door sill and the white and white/brown wires are staring you in the face if you look directly down. I used some clip splicers I had laying around and they work fine. The tag on the wire is directly where the kick panel goes. Green to white, brown to white/brown.
PyyXk1S.png

Clearer picture of the wires.
Kz4QYXD.png

Other than the incorrect wiring step, the instructions are dead nuts accurate. I absolutely love the way the music sounds now as I listen from everything from classical, to metal, to EDM, to Jazz and it the bass response is phenomenal.

However, if you do wish to move your jack to the other side, you can use the existing sub mount and just screw the screw into the hole through the jack mount. I placed a spacer underneath the mount so it doesn't angle the back of the mount upwards. No need to cut holes into your floor pan.
SGpPGqx.png

Last edited:

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you already have the factory sony sub, you do not need to bother running the wire all the way up to the front foot well. I just undid the harness they sent and tapped into the feed line that was sending signal to the sub. This way its actually getting the signal that the sony amp sends to the sub and not the front passenger speaker signal. This makes it so your sub output is not connected to the balance/fade settings and gets the signal sony sends specifically for the sub

Floyd91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you already have the factory sony sub, you do not need to bother running the wire all the way up to the front foot well. I just undid the harness they sent and tapped into the feed line that was sending signal to the sub. This way its actually getting the signal that the sony amp sends to the sub and not the front passenger speaker signal. This makes it so your sub output is not connected to the balance/fade settings and gets the signal sony sends specifically for the sub

More details on this? I've got mine attached to the wires under the door sill. I haven't been really impressed with it over the stocker and I'm wondering if changing the input would make any difference.

OP
OP
cgibs89

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just curious as to how this would make a difference. I get the fade/balance but would this affect quality/response/anything?

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never tried connecting it to the Door speaker so I am not 100% sure on what the difference would be, but I can only assume since the factory system already has DSP that they do not send the same low freq signal to the door as they do the sub.

As for how to do it its rather easy. You just tap into one of the sub feed lines, its been a while since I did mine but if I remember correctly the sony sub is a DVC so it had two pairs feeding it. I just tapped into one pair making sure I got the phase correct. If you get the negative on the positive your sub will be 180 degrees out of phase and your low frequency output will suffer in that it will cancel out the door speaker lows

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been reading most of the threads that pop up on this subject, and this is a great write up, especially for us with Scabs. However just to make sure, this is the same kicker upgrade the Screws use right? The only difference is the final location of the new sub?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cgibs89

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading most of the threads that pop up on this subject, and this is a great write up, especially for us with Scabs. However just to make sure, this is the same kicker upgrade the Screws use right? The only difference is the final location of the new sub?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Same" in the way of install and components but the actual sub boxes and locations are different. The SCrew sub box looks very similar to the stock sub box and is mounted in the same spot using the stock mount locations. The SCab box is a long box that goes under the driver side rear seat and mounts to the actual seat frame using those metal clip fasteners and the same screws that mounted the stock box to the stock location. You also don't need to do anything with the jack location on the SCrews.

OP
OP
cgibs89

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never tried connecting it to the Door speaker so I am not 100% sure on what the difference would be, but I can only assume since the factory system already has DSP that they do not send the same low freq signal to the door as they do the sub.

As for how to do it its rather easy. You just tap into one of the sub feed lines, its been a while since I did mine but if I remember correctly the sony sub is a DVC so it had two pairs feeding it. I just tapped into one pair making sure I got the phase correct. If you get the negative on the positive your sub will be 180 degrees out of phase and your low frequency output will suffer in that it will cancel out the door speaker lows

So I got some time today to do just this as I was curious and quickly realized after the install, while the bass was definitely increased all around, the low end (<80-ish Hz) was terrible. It was extremely muddy as well so I said "why not?".

Wow did this make a difference. If you want the sub to produce the proper sub frequencies, pull the signal wires out of the harness and run them directly to the stock sub signal. I spliced both pairs together with the factory sub harness and I get much better sub-100Hz production and it sounds so much clearer. Lamb of God drumming doesn't sound like a mess of bass but now precise kicks and thuds.

Here's what I did since I wanted to keep stuff looking "stock" and not just cut off a system connector. I pulled the harness out of the factory sub to use for splicing and so I could rip it all apart if I (no idea why) wanted to put the stock sub back in.

4VSzUZn.png

I spliced these wrong after re-reading your comment but I just went and fixed it and yeah, phase is a huge deal. For those wondering, the white and white/light gray wires are positive which the green wire goes to, white/blue and white/grey are negative which the brown wire goes to.
rwGUz8s.png

Finished harness. Again, this picture I had it reversed so do the opposite.
pd36q6w.png

And then just plug everything together and enjoy your actual low-end with the sub. It kicks even harder now.

Last edited:

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
See I was not crazy.. I ******* out the Kicker techs when I received my kit and it said to tap the signal into the door speaker. They were to cheap to make a model with the proper plug to just connect to the factory sub connector for signal and updated wire harness.