Kicker Sub Upgrade How-To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Sony tweeters still work even with kicker speakers hooked up to Sony amp

They should work as long as you are still using the Sony amp.

IMG_5736_zpsjda5z4nh.jpg

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do they make replacment tweeters are center speaker in kicker form too? Or would we need an amp besides the Sony one to accomplish this

I've never looked into it myself but I have read posts by others who have done that very thing. The search feature should find what you are looking for.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LekRap turn the volume down and see if the noise is still there. also turn the volume up and press pause on the music and see if the noise is still there.

Thanks for the response! I appreciate the guidance!

So it seems to come and go some. Usually, I hear it when the volume is low or even completely off (most of the time when I start the truck up and the radio hasn't clicked on yet or after I shut the truck off and am about to get out). Almost seems like when it's kinda like warming up or cooling down, so to speak.

I just tried to pause the music while its playing and I didn't hear any grumbling...but I'm pretty sure I have heard it when I did that before. It seems to come and go some and definitely is worse some times rather than others. Thankfully, I can't say that I have ever heard it when the music is playing.

Do you think it's a wiring issue? Seems strange to me that it seems to come and go. Thanks again for the guidance!

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are the Kicker amps always powered on or do they have a sleep function when not it use. I ask this because each amp requires a dedicated power wire be ran to the battery. Should a relay be used or can they be put on switched (keyed) power somehow.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I appreciate the guidance!

So it seems to come and go some. Usually, I hear it when the volume is low or even completely off (most of the time when I start the truck up and the radio hasn't clicked on yet or after I shut the truck off and am about to get out). Almost seems like when it's kinda like warming up or cooling down, so to speak.

I just tried to pause the music while its playing and I didn't hear any grumbling...but I'm pretty sure I have heard it when I did that before. It seems to come and go some and definitely is worse some times rather than others. Thankfully, I can't say that I have ever heard it when the music is playing.

Do you think it's a wiring issue? Seems strange to me that it seems to come and go. Thanks again for the guidance!

does it do this on all sources? or just a specific source?

Are the Kicker amps always powered on or do they have a sleep function when not it use. I ask this because each amp requires a dedicated power wire be ran to the battery. Should a relay be used or can they be put on switched (keyed) power somehow.

most amps use a 12v turn on wire which is wired to accessory or ignition. some have a signal sense, but i never use that feature.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
most amps use a 12v turn on wire which is wired to accessory or ignition. some have a signal sense, but i never use that feature.

Thanks, the install instructions only show tapping signal and power & ground. I was wondering if it needed a turn on wire but it may use signal sense, I had not heard of signal sense so I learned something new.