Kicker Sub Upgrade How-To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you leave the factory tweeter hooked up?

Yeah I just left them. Just took off door panels and plug n play. Super easy. I would be intrigued to see what it sounds like to hook up door speakers to kicker amp and the center and tweeters to the stock Sony amp... I would have tried this but I bought my sub and speakers without the additional amp.

Crikk

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I really want to do just that^^^. I just can't find anyone online that has done this. If I could find one review of this being done. Please help.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want to do just that^^^. I just can't find anyone online that has done this. If I could find one review of this being done. Please help.

You mean use the additional Amp to power the door speakers that come with the kit?

I will have a look at the amp but guessing you will have to splice into your current stereo harness and splice the supplied kicker harness to get them to work with the added amp.

Should find out if an amp is already driving the stock door speakers. I know this will vary by model year as well....

Might be more hassle than its worth.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished installing the door speakers. Took 30 min. But I also know how to remove the panels so factor another 15 min if you have never removed the door panels.

They sound good and are an upgrade for sure. I don't think they need more power from the kits amp with the 801A Sony system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
cgibs89

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave the stock sub in. Nothing is gained from it and it's a waste of space. I put the jack back in just because but it would also be a nice little storage area with nothing there.

Glad you guys got something out of this. I would highly, highly, highly recommend using mine or NJ's wire guide to hook into the factory sub signal. The Kicker recommendation, while good if you want all around bass, isn't nearly as precise nor gets the low frequencies like the sub signal does.

Anytime and I hope it helped.

I found another mod that improves the distance of our remote start system (for those who have it) plus provides an OEM perimeter alarm and allows us to control it from the smart phone app with a yearly fee of $50 (I believe). I"ll more than likely end up doing a write up on this as I'm sure others will want it. Stay tuned.

Please let us know. The factory remote aggravates me. 75% of the time if I'm not within line of sight of my truck and 10 yards away, it won't work.

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave the stock sub in. Nothing is gained from it and it's a waste of space. I put the jack back in just because but it would also be a nice little storage area with nothing there.

Glad you guys got something out of this. I would highly, highly, highly recommend using mine or NJ's wire guide to hook into the factory sub signal. The Kicker recommendation, while good if you want all around bass, isn't nearly as precise nor gets the low frequencies like the sub signal does.

Please let us know. The factory remote aggravates me. 75% of the time if I'm not within line of sight of my truck and 10 yards away, it won't work.

Believe me, I use to open my mouth and put the remote to my chin to get distance out of it (yes it does work).....I've had the new system in place for a few days and it really is worth the money, I'm signing up for the yearly service of $50 tomorrow

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/raptor-vss-security-rmu-upgrade-easy-install-46937/index2.html

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I was thinking that space would be nice for storage too. I know it is small but it would be cool too have a tuffy lock box that fit in that space to lock up a pistol, or valuables, couple tools, etc...

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered a full kit from Beau today, I will be using the sub and door speakers, can't wait to hear the difference. Thanks to those who figured out how to utilize this kit with the Sony systems.

For those of you considering the VSS and RMU it is a nice upgrade and works really well in our trucks. I did the bi-directional with VSS first then later added the RMU. I did a write up when I installed so a search of my user name should find it.