Jack Stands - safe way to jack the beast up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going through this whole thread but I am sure someone mentioned what you save by doing your own work, even occasionally is well spent on buying QUALITY jack stands. I'd use HF to rotate tires or do brakes but there is no way I'd ever get under a vehicle with an HF jack stand.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/harbor-freight-recall-jackstands-collapse-safety/
I’m with ya... I would never roll under my truck with the HF 3 or 6 ton jacks stands - they really feel cheap to me. However, the 12 ton jack stands are heavy duty!!! I roll under every time I do an oil change with no hesitation. But I also leave my jack tensioned up somewhere as a back up.

On this same note, I have a set of Max RhinoGear ramps that scare the hell out of me... I don’t use them anymore due to the number of collapse stories you find on the net.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I can get my 6' 250lb body to change the oil without lifting, most others don't need any lift either.

Heck I can change oil on wife 2015 GC Summit without lifting.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Yeah, it basically came down to two jacks that are capable of getting the Raptor off the floor without the use of pucks - the Pro Eagle (28” lift) and the HF Long Reach (24” lift) jack.

not true. i have a standard nothing special about it jack and I can lift from the frame.
Zero complaints.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...aign=20181210_A_EC_TX_PKEDUP&utm_content=ITEM

ships free and it's 75 bucks. gimme a break, can't be beat.

I do all my own work. If I had to use a jack daily I'd get something else. But for the home mechanic, gets it done

Last edited:

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had my local lumbar yard cut me a bunch of 6x6x10” blocks for like 30 bucks. the blocks are perfect for raising the truck (35’s, level). also they are nice so that jackstands don’t need to be fully raised, meaning you can set a fully retracted jackstand on top of two blocks versus having the stand ratcheted up to it’s max. just an idea

seems safe. not safe.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not true. i have a standard nothing special about it jack and I can lift from the frame. i'll go look at what it is shortly and post it. And I definitely did not spend 500 haha
I look forward to seeing your "standard" jack.

I most certainly didn't spend $500 either... I bought the HF long reach for $170 + $7 shipping. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I simply couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a jack.

With my "standard" HF, which lifts a hair over 19", it will not lift my front tire off the ground. I had to purchase a 3" jack pad to even remotely think about lifting the tire off the ground, but I found it to be very unsafe as the pad was crushing down under the pressure of the Raptor. So, I purchased the long reach and I can now properly lift it off the ground.

Out of curiosity, do you rotate your own tires?

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing your "standard" jack.

I most certainly didn't spend $500 either... I bought the HF long reach for $170 + $7 shipping. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I simply couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a jack.

With my "standard" HF, which lifts a hair over 19", it will not lift my front tire off the ground. I had to purchase a 3" jack pad to even remotely think about lifting the tire off the ground, but I found it to be very unsafe as the pad was crushing down under the pressure of the Raptor. So, I purchased the long reach and I can now properly lift it off the ground.

As a side note the 1/2 drive electric dewalt impact wrench is the shit.

Out of curiosity, do you rotate your own tires?

scroll up.

no one can justify spending 500 on a jack (except that one guy) because it's stupid and unneeded.

have a set of 6 ton jack stands on the way to go with the ones I already have. the set I had didn't have the height needed to lift by the frame for the front.

should have no issue with my own tire rotations moving forward.

Safety is paramount. If the stand or jack ain't tall enough without homemade adapters, get new gear!

But there is always one retard out there. check this dude out.