Cam Phaser Repair Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Subscribed.

Is there a percentage of trucks that have cam phaser issues that is recorded by Ford?

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
meanwhile I've got a family road trip coming up this weekend and I'm in a run down F150 loaner.

Maybe they can upgrade your truck (loaner) for you, at least for your trip, seems like a no-brainer.
If they tell you they don't have a better loaner,, look at, or ask what their sales people and other employees are driving and I'll bet one of them is driving something more comparable to your Raptor. They can find something better.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
If they tell you they don't have a better loaner,, look at, or ask what their sales people and other employees are driving and I'll bet one of them is driving something more comparable to your Raptor. They can find something better.
I was just thinking that - I also don't want to be unreasonable. The latest is that the Ford Engineer was out at the dealer last evening so I'm expecting news today. Coincidently, the Ford App alerted me last night that the engine control system had detected an improper connection/installation of the engine crankcase hoses so I'm not feeling good about the situation. They've had my vehicle since June 29th. At first they gave me no loaner! Only a ride to my office. After the first repair failed they gave me a new mustang loaner. 3 Days later they called wanting me to return their mustang because they sold it! They then gave me the run down F150 so I'm pissed right now but trying to keep calm.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
Dealer just called with not great news. The Ford Engineer says one of the cylinder heads needs to be replaced and he thinks that will fix the issue. The problem is now the dealer does not have that part in stock so they will update me later on timing. I asked about a better loaner and they are giving me a Ford Explorer. I don't exactly feel good about making a family road trip in a Ford Explorer loaner. Ughh

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
Priming the oil system will not prevent the issue, as phaser pin wear/failure occurs during VCT operation and engine shutdown.

When the system is operating properly, the phasers remain locked until there is sufficient oil pressure to unseat the locking pin. Whether that occurs during priming or after engine startup does not change the functionality.
I'm wondering - since the Ford Engineer says the cylinder head now needs to be replaced. Do you think it's possible that the cylinder head was somehow damaged by the failed attempt to repair the Cam Phasers?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer just called with not great news. The Ford Engineer says one of the cylinder heads needs to be replaced and he thinks that will fix the issue. The problem is now the dealer does not have that part in stock so they will update me later on timing. I asked about a better loaner and they are giving me a Ford Explorer. I don't exactly feel good about making a family road trip in a Ford Explorer loaner. Ughh
If you need a truck, pressure them a bit, don’t need to be nasty, just persistent is all, tell them you need to tow your boat and it’s longer than the explorer and you don’t feel comfortable

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
If you need a truck, pressure them a bit, don’t need to be nasty, just persistent is all, tell them you need to tow your boat and it’s longer than the explorer and you don’t feel comfortable
I sent an email to their GM and Service Dept Director.. It's persistent but not irrational. I asked for itemized list of service/parts performed/replaced and help accommodating my request for a better loaner. I'm trying my best to remain patient but also knowing this is going to possibly impact our planned vacation.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
The dealer had their shop foreman call to explain the technical issues. Basically, they say the cam phaser repair was fixed and they claim it fixed the rattle on start noise. However, a new ticking noise developed. They then replaced the solenoids on Ford's guidance but that didn't fix the issue. The Ford Engineer says he has seen this issue before and they are basically replacing the cylinder head and just about everything that goes along with that. Unfortunately parts are on national back order until July 28th. Dealer management is working to find me a suitable vehicle for my road trip and they hope to update me on that tomorrow. The dealer claims the technician is a master tech and has deep experience fixing cam phasers. They also say the dealer only knows of one other similar case. It feels like they are trying so I'll hold judgement until I see how they will accommodate me and a final resolution.