Cam Phaser Repair Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
False alarm, my rattle is from two missing screws for some sort of panel underneath the truck in the front.

*eye roll*

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
False alarm, my rattle is from two missing screws for some sort of panel underneath the truck in the front.

*eye roll*
Rattle sounds can really travel and bounce around some times. I'm a rattle N*zi and I have had some real adventures over the years tracing them down. :banghead: Glad you found it. I guess we can't say **** anymore.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rattle sounds can really travel and bounce around some times. I'm a rattle N*zi and I have had some real adventures over the years tracing them down. :banghead: Glad you found it. I guess we can't say **** anymore.

I think someone infiltrated FRF with censorshipism lol. New word.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Oh, I do. I was making the point that perhaps the engine cutting off more than normal bc of the Auto Start/Stop is leading to cam phaser problems with our trucks...(?)

it didn’t make a tangible difference. We had users who disabled auto stop start from day 1 and still had phaser issues. OTOH we’ve had users who have never messed with disabling stop / start and never had the phaser failure.

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latest TSB for cam phasers software update released on July 15th mentions trucks built on or before 11/30/2019

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latest TSB for cam phasers software update released on July 15th mentions trucks built on or before 11/30/2019
Okay, that makes sense because my truck (2019 built 04/19) was in for an oil change and to check a metallic rattle tapping that happened for 1-2 minutes cold or hot after start and they just said it's the phasers and it'll be in the shop until early/mid next week. They gave me a new Explorer loaner so I guess I'm okay. This all happened today.

I thought they had fixed the phasers with an updated part and the 04/19 build date was "safe?" I guess not.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
The dealer finally finished work on my Raptor. They completed the following:

• Replaced all 4 VCT Units
  • Sprocket camshaft
  • Timing chain tensioner
  • Replaced cylinder head (plus supporting parts in that side of engine)
  • Many more parts
Summary:
After performing TSB 21-2119 for rattle (twice) a continuous tick was now heard from RH VCT area. It was pinpointed to RH Intake VCT and timing cover area. Ford advised dealer to conduct more tests (oil pressure, relative compression) which passed at 25PSI. Other tests all passed. Ford then advised to remove timing cover again and remove and replace bank 1, RH VCT intake, and exhaust phasers. Dealer confirmed with Ford that all parts were in proper condition. After re-assembly the ticking noise was still present. Ford instructed dealer to replace 2 VCT solenoids and confirmed no oiling issue. Ford engineer was dispatched to conduct additional testing and the engineer instructed that the RH Cylinder head be removed for inspection. Tests were completed on the head and passed with no damage found. Ford instructed dealer to replace all timing and valve train components associated with that bank. Replaced RH cylinder head with lash adjusters, roller followers, intake and exhaust camshafts, intake and exhaust VCT phasers again, VCT solenoids again, timing chain, chain guides, chain tensioner and all one time use parts. After re-assembly further tests were completed and additional time was needed for numerous repairs, abnormal diagnostics.

All in all they had my vehicle for 30 days and the truck appears to be fine now. The dealer did advise against 21B10 so that was not completed. My truck smells like the mechanic lived in there so I'm having it detailed. How reasonable do you think it would be if I called Ford to request a warranty extension on the repairs?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense because my truck (2019 built 04/19) was in for an oil change and to check a metallic rattle tapping that happened for 1-2 minutes cold or hot after start and they just said it's the phasers and it'll be in the shop until early/mid next week. They gave me a new Explorer loaner so I guess I'm okay. This all happened today.

I thought they had fixed the phasers with an updated part and the 04/19 build date was "safe?" I guess not.
The phasers were updated in production 07/18 with improvements. They were redesigned with a new locking pin mechanism in 11/19.