Cam Phaser Repair Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I purchased the truck new 2 years ago and it's been well maintained and cared for. Synthetic oil changes every 5K or less and mostly used as a daily driver with no off road or aggressive driving.
That is strange then. Do you use Motorcraft filters?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, like when the (f'n) Auto Start/Stop cuts the engine off 20 times on the way to the store??
OTOH, thanks to auto stop/start, you get to discover the issue sooner, with more warranty coverage, rather than later, with less warranty coverage. So if you think about it, even if you detest auto stop/start, it still helps you :)

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most oil changes were done at a Ford dealer. A few were done at Take 5 Oil change with Mobil 1 Synthetic and not sure what oil filter they use.
That could be root cause. The oil change shops typically use the cheapest filters available, which at wholesale cost are less than $1 each. I used to sell them back when I was a commercial parts distributor. The filter media comes apart due to the poor quality/construction of the filter and ends up scoring the the camshaft journals. This was very common on the 5.4 3V engines with owners who used Fram oil filters.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of that. Where do I find that?
It's real nice, it maintains the function of the button. It remembers what position you left it in last, no matter how many times you turn the truck on and off. The one that I have you just plug into the OBD II port, they make another one that you put inside the dash with a harness. I liked the OBD II just in case there's ever a truck electronic issue, you can pop it out in a few seconds.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's real nice, it maintains the function of the button. It remembers what position you left it in last, no matter how many times you turn the truck on and off. The one that I have you just plug into the OBD II port, they make another one that you put inside the dash with a harness. I liked the OBD II just in case there's ever a truck electronic issue, you can pop it out in a few seconds.

Thanks.