Cam Phaser Repair Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moonjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it every time parts are on back order? Even pre Covid? Yours sounds just like mine I have a tick after phaser repair and they said unless check engine light comes on its normal.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
Why is it every time parts are on back order? Even pre Covid? Yours sounds just like mine I have a tick after phaser repair and they said unless check engine light comes on its normal.
It's not normal.. The dealership shop foreman said the issue is rare but it is a known issue. Ford's Engineer agreed so I would ask your dealer to escalate with Ford

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
The dealer is giving me a new Expedition to use as a loaner for our road trip. All in all I think they are doing their best to accommodate me and I appreciate their efforts. One observation I'll make from driving around in a new Mustang and Explorer Limited loaners - it feels like quality is not important to Ford. The build quality on these vehicles is crappy and downright embarrassing. This along with my experience so far with the Raptor is making me rethink staying a Ford customer.

INDO-RAPTOR

Reaction score
Here is a video, from FORD BOSS ME, that has the latest Cam Phaser TSB, which now specifically mentions F150 Raptor in print. This bulletin is dated 15JULY2021.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm wondering - since the Ford Engineer says the cylinder head now needs to be replaced. Do you think it's possible that the cylinder head was somehow damaged by the failed attempt to repair the Cam Phasers?
It sounds like they found scoring on the camshaft journals. Did you buy the truck new or used? Scoring has nothing to do with the phaser repair and is typically caused by a lack of maintenance, poor quality oil filters, or low oil level. The scoring causes oil pressure to bleed off, which results in insufficient oil pressure to the phaser and phaser noise.

Not sure what you’re referring to in terms of build quality, I’ve been in plenty of 2020+ Explorers and they are nice. Certainly no worse than the competition. Same with Mustang.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
It sounds like they found scoring on the camshaft journals. Did you buy the truck new or used? Scoring has nothing to do with the phaser repair and is typically caused by a lack of maintenance, poor quality oil filters, or low oil level. The scoring causes oil pressure to bleed off, which results in insufficient oil pressure to the phaser and phaser noise.

Not sure what you’re referring to in terms of build quality, I’ve been in plenty of 2020+ Explorers and they are nice. Certainly no worse than the competition. Same with Mustang.
I purchased the truck new 2 years ago and it's been well maintained and cared for. Synthetic oil changes every 5K or less and mostly used as a daily driver with no off road or aggressive driving.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do they have to tear it down so far that they would see the cam journals? I thought this was all on the front of the cams?
No, they would not see the scoring unless they removed the cam caps, which is not part of the phaser replacement procedure.