Cam Phaser Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone here tries to determine that one set of variables that explains why they don't have this issue or why they do have it. I don't think there is one. Consider yourself lucky. Not everyone gets it and the ones that do knows that they will trade their truck in after it gets fix and then they have to decide whether or not they should pick up another Ford.

BTW .. there's no magic behind when the truck tells you to change the oil. It is just a formula based on engine hours, time and miles driven. Also, if you get the dealer to change your oil, they use a synthetic blend.

And I hope you don't get it.

I don't change mine until the truck tells me to. I change it myself, mobile 1 and Ford filter. No telling what the dealer would put in it though.

29.5k, no noises.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Everyone here tries to determine that one set of variables that explains why they don't have this issue or why they do have it. I don't think there is one. Consider yourself lucky. Not everyone gets it and the ones that do knows that they will trade their truck in after it gets fix and whether or not they should pick up another Ford.

BTW .. there's no magic behind when the truck tells you to change the oil. It is just a formula based on engine hours, time and miles driven. Also, if you get the dealer to change your oil, they use a synthetic blend.

And I hope you don't get it.

Lucky? I would not expect to have cam phaser issues to begin with.

On the oil change indicator, I am pretty sure there is some sort of sorcery involved.

In fact a formula based on engine hours, time and miles driven, sounds just right to me.

OP
OP
Uncas

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is a TSB for this, what’s the number?
Could not find a TSB on Cam Phasers but found an SSM from the NHTSA site.

Manufacturer Communication Number: SSM 48055

Summary

Some 2017-2018 F-150 and 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine, where the variable cam timing (VCT) unit or long block assembly requires replacement for any reason, the PCM calibration must also be updated during the repair using the latest version of the appropriate Ford scan tool. Claim the labor required to complete PCM programming using M time. Monitor Oasis for updates.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the cam phaser fix at 20K miles on my 2018. It began with the clatter at start intermittently. Then it went to every start along with a ticking engine. Towards the end I was even getting a harmonic vibration in my dash under low acceleration. It took roughly 2 days once the parts were in and all of my symptoms are now gone. The tech at my local dealership said they still do not have a root cause. Some engines never get the problem. Some get it multiple times. It appears to be luck of the draw and IMO probably related to some sort of tolerance stack issue, which explains why it's random.

FWIW - I change my oil every 5K at the dealer with the recommended oil from the manual. Mine has never been low. In addition to engine hours, miles, and time, the computer also pays attention to your driving. In other words, the harder you are on the truck, the faster the oil life indicator will deplete. I still replace mine at 5k regardless. If nothing else it helps me remember when to rotate my tires.

ArmyTanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can cam phaser issues also cause transmission shift issues (harsh up and down shifts), any relation?

wipit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, what the list off parts being changed for this.?

OP
OP
Uncas

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can cam phaser issues also cause transmission shift issues (harsh up and down shifts), any relation?
I think the hard shifting is a PCM programming issue if your truck was built before May 15, 2018. From the NHTSA website:
Manufacturer Communication Number: TSB 18-2274

Summary

Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L, 3.5L or 5.0L engine and 10R80 automatic transmission and built on or before 15-May 2018 may exhibit harsh/bumpy upshift, downshift and/or engagement concerns. Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

I had this reprogramed about a year ago, which appears to have fixed that problem. I now have a new transmission rattling problem that I think may be the pump or torque converter but I am sure the tech will say it is just the whine noted in SSM 47812.

ArmyTanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I had that TSB and did not correct - I’m thinking it is a main valve control body issue, but just wondered if the Cam phaser May be altering the timing, making the shift issue more pronounced?

wilddog

Reaction score
I have a 2019 with 33K miles. Cold start has the terrible racket ignition. Dropped the truck off and had it back in 9 days. It was cam phasers, chain,tensioners etc. i asked what the cost would have been out of warranty and was told $3500. They claimed this repair is covered up to 60K miles. I asked the technician if it is a V6 thing or V8 thing with F150’s and he said “yes” so it is not a Raptor exclusive. I use full synthetic oil and Slick 50 so it was NOT my negligence. This is my first Ford product;not thrilled with the quality of their most premium F150 at this point. Last year the sunroof leaked like a screen door and had to get it the entire roof replaced and all new carpet installed which took 1 month during hunting season. I love the performance and despise repairs of this magnitude. Sunroofs with bad seals are one thing but mechanicals cause me to lose confidence.