Cam Phaser Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Possum604

Reaction score
I have a 2017 and the chatter on startup started about 3 months ago. It is back in the shop today for the 2nd time. The first time the dealer told me that the skid plate was loose from last oil change. I got in it in THEIR parking lot to leave and it still chattered. I went back in and they said I would have to bring it back. WTF?? They are replacing my radio/nav. module today also because it stops running all the time even with the updates. The service manger @ Expressway Ford in Mt. Vernon needs to find a new profession. You can tell he just hates his job. My raptor also has two recalls on it, which they were suppose to fix the first time it was in their shop. Nope!! They never looked at them. Unbelievable

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 and the chatter on startup started about 3 months ago. It is back in the shop today for the 2nd time. The first time the dealer told me that the skid plate was loose from last oil change. I got in it in THEIR parking lot to leave and it still chattered. I went back in and they said I would have to bring it back. WTF?? They are replacing my radio/nav. module today also because it stops running all the time even with the updates. The service manger @ Expressway Ford in Mt. Vernon needs to find a new profession. You can tell he just hates his job. My raptor also has two recalls on it, which they were suppose to fix the first time it was in their shop. Nope!! They never looked at them. Unbelievable
Not all Ford dealers are created equal. It's so hard time find a good dealer. I live within 5 miles of Theodore Robins Ford and and 7 miles away from Huntington Beach Ford. BUT I drive 20 miles away to Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park because they are light years better in every way, than the other dealers. They work on a lot of Raptors because they sell the most Raptors.

My last 3 trucks were diesels and the best dealer for Ford diesels in Orange County CA is Mc Coy Mills in Fullerton. They deal with diesel fleet vehicles so they have a big diesel service dept and multiple techs vs. other dealers have one diesel tech.

Reaction score
Ok, just joined this forum specifically to post about my issue as I feel we all need to take this one seriously. I have 2018 with 23k, start-up noise started around 18k. To me this sounded timing chain slap. Took 3 trips and 2 dealers and one real cold morning for them to finally hear the noise (it is intermittent). Dealer service tech was instructed by Ford that the Cam Phasers should be replaced. Dealer opened her up and confirmed the cam sprocket was slipping when turned over by hand. Upon replacing the phasers/sprockets the tech noticed significant damage to timing change and tensioner. Ford replaced cam sprockets/phasers, timing chain, gaskets, bolts, and timing chain tensioner (right side only). Took about 2weeks. Truck starts up beautifully now. If you are hearing this noise, take it in, be persistent...be more persistent. Ford knows about this issue and the more we bring our trucks in, the more they will be forced to improved these failing parts for future generations.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, just joined this forum specifically to post about my issue as I feel we all need to take this one seriously. I have 2018 with 23k, start-up noise started around 18k. To me this sounded timing chain slap. Took 3 trips and 2 dealers and one real cold morning for them to finally hear the noise (it is intermittent). Dealer service tech was instructed by Ford that the Cam Phasers should be replaced. Dealer opened her up and confirmed the cam sprocket was slipping when turned over by hand. Upon replacing the phasers/sprockets the tech noticed significant damage to timing change and tensioner. Ford replaced cam sprockets/phasers, timing chain, gaskets, bolts, and timing chain tensioner (right side only). Took about 2weeks. Truck starts up beautifully now. If you are hearing this noise, take it in, be persistent...be more persistent. Ford knows about this issue and the more we bring our trucks in, the more they will be forced to improved these failing parts for future generations.
I thought it was just a '17 issues with the cam phasers ! Just had mine replaced last week with only 19k on the truck. They did not replace my timing chain or tensioner though. BTW, regarding your avatar, I'm also a knee dragger. Have been for 20 years. Giddy up.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this too. I saw searching that somebody here said there was a fix coming out? Is that a recall? If so, I hope it's new designed parts and not something like they say there is a new design on its way.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every needs to be aware. There is a small amount of "cold start" noise that will happen with a design like this. If the noise does not go away in less then 5 seconds, you have an issue.

I have 19,*** miles on my 2018. I get timing chain noise only when the truck has been sitting for 48 hours or more. It goes away as soon as the oil pressure builds, like 3 seconds.

I have watched the videos, cam phaser noise is distinct and not the same as standard cold start slack.