Cam Phaser Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A follow question: From what I read online, this repair seems quite extensive. It seems that some techs have to remove the body of the truck to get access to perform the repair, and then people say their trucks are never the same. I am interested in your experience with this?
Removing the cab is not required. Some techs just do it to gain better access. The cab is designed to be removed for service; there is a step by step procedure i the Workshop Manual. If the procedure is followed properly nothing will be damaged.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Taking mine in tomorrow, techs said cab removal is not required and will be two days. I’ll let you all know how it goes. Fingers crossed. Otherwise I have loved this truck for the short time I’ve owned it!

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a "major issue". It doesn't affect engine performance or longevity. However, Ford just released a customer satisfaction bulletin for the noise concerns, which includes a software update and phaser replacement (with the updated parts) at no charge to the customer, even if you're out of warranty.

I dropped by the dealership yesterday to discuss the PCM reflash. I don't have phaser rattle and generally fall into the if it ain't broke... camp. But I wanted to connect so if there was a problem down the road I had their take on the reflash.

He said - don't do it now. Although the reflash has been updated to 'fix the transmission problem it caused' - my words as he was more diplomatic, it is still new and he'd recommend I'd wait for now. He said they hadn't done one yet and it is quite a procedure, so keep my powder dry.

Done and done. I'll monitor it and see if the reflash stabilizes, then offer up my baby at that point.

I also asked if there was any benefit to going through him to get a set of Fox Factory Race Series 3.0 LV's. He said, nope. Alrighty then. I appreciated the honesty.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dropped by the dealership yesterday to discuss the PCM reflash. I don't have phaser rattle and generally fall into the if it ain't broke... camp. But I wanted to connect so if there was a problem down the road I had their take on the reflash.

He said - don't do it now. Although the reflash has been updated to 'fix the transmission problem it caused' - my words as he was more diplomatic, it is still new and he'd recommend I'd wait for now. He said they hadn't done one yet and it is quite a procedure, so keep my powder dry.

Done and done. I'll monitor it and see if the reflash stabilizes, then offer up my baby at that point.

I also asked if there was any benefit to going through him to get a set of Fox Factory Race Series 3.0 LV's. He said, nope. Alrighty then. I appreciated the honesty.
Were you speaking to a service advisor? The original flash never caused a transmission issue, so it sounds like this individual is not knowledgeable on the subject.

As far as the procedure, it’s a simple PCM calibration update. It doesn’t take more than a half hour start to finish.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford tech. I had my cp done with the new parts. I currently have no noise. Do I want this flash ?

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you speaking to a service advisor? The original flash never caused a transmission issue, so it sounds like this individual is not knowledgeable on the subject.

As far as the procedure, it’s a simple PCM calibration update. It doesn’t take more than a half hour start to finish.
He was the Service Mgr. He said that from what he's heard, the original reflash caused some 'problems', but was updated. Based on this info, he suggested to wait until there was more reflashed to see if any other 'problems' resulted from the update.

From what I had seen on other sites, the biggest complaint from the round 1.0 was transmission related. I haven't seen enough comments for round 2.0 to see any sort of pattern.

He implied the reflash was fairly straightforward, but the diagnostics that follow are fairly involved. He suggested that the truck be left for the day should any problems be encountered that require a redo or troubleshooting vs. ya, we'll have that done for you in 45 mins if you want to grab a coffee type of idea.

I'm not sure if this helps. I don't want to mischaracterize his comments or cautions.