Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man this thread. Reminds me of the Suby guys who were convinced Mobil 1 was the reason so many ej20 motors spun bearings. That motor was absolutely incompatible with a specific brand of oil. Insanity.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man this thread. Reminds me of the Suby guys who were convinced Mobil 1 was the reason so many ej20 motors spun bearings. That motor was absolutely incompatible with a specific brand of oil. Insanity.

Very true. What about the ring land paranoia? I found that ejs consumed less oil with 5w40.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
% is climbing for failures. Would be nice for Ford to figure this out and give ecoboost owners a real solution.
Jack_Links-768x1024.jpg

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true. What about the ring land paranoia? I found that ejs consumed less oil with 5w40.
Heavier oil was always the answer for a modified ej especially if you ran them hard. Brand never mattered. RTFM lol. The manual had heavier oil specified for extreme heat, towing, or other heavier uses. The ringland thing on the 257 was a legitimate issue but it was an improper ring gap not the ringland itself.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
you’re so cute when you’re outed. How many registrations have you had here over the years. I know 8(?) of your registered ids.

You need to be finding other things to do besides lying to users here. You need to ask yourself, do you want this ID banned too, or do you want to keep this id and the other 3 active id’s you have used this year active? You can lurk, but if you continue to lie ( like having owned a Raptor or had one with phaser issues ) or if you continue the baiting troll posts, this id will get banned like the earlier ones.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score

Not unexpected. No one knows why the problem occurs so people can do nothing except speculate. What do you expect when a small percentage of people have the issue and the rest don't?

I've got a 2019, Sept 2019 build and I definnitely hear the issue. It's very quiet and muffled at this point but is absolutely definitely there. I stand in front of the engine. Put my ear to the grill. Start the engine. I hear the "rattle". After two seconds, the "rattle" sound disappears.

I expected as much but I bought the truck anyway. So it's on me. I gambled and lost. So I'll learn from this experience...

Last edited: