Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
Build date of 09/19 is well past the production cutoff. If you have to put your ear to the grille to hear it, that is not cam phaser failure. When the phasers fail, you can hear them from 10 feet away. What you're hearing is most likely normal engine startup noise; these GTDIs make induction, fuel system, and turbocharger noise during a cold start. Same with every GTDI engine, they're trying to warm up as quickly as possible to enter closed loop. You may even be hearing the electronic waste gates cycling; on cold start the PCM cycles both turbocharger waste gates multiple times as part of the self test.

I didn't say mine are failing. I'm saying it IS the EXACT same sound, just much quieter.

I suspect most people didn't put their ear up to the front grill to determine if they have the issue on their brand new truck. I did because I'm aware of the issue before I got the truck. But it is in fact the same sound as the "failure" and the sound is there at this time.

At this point, I'm going to assume everything is normal and working properly and this is what the engine sounds like when operating properly.

Only time will tell if the sound will get louder or not. Even then, getting louder may be normal. I have no idea and there is way too much conflicting information to worry about it.

In any case, I'm going to enjoy my ride as long as I can!

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have the issue then the sound will get louder and louder and it will sound like a diesel when you start it up.

I didn't say mine are failing. I'm saying it IS the EXACT same sound, just much quieter.

I suspect most people didn't put their ear up to the front grill to determine if they have the issue on their brand new truck. I did because I'm aware of the issue before I got the truck. But it is in fact the same sound as the "failure" and the sound is there at this time.

At this point, I'm going to assume everything is normal and working properly and this is what the engine sounds like when operating properly.

Only time will tell if the sound will get louder or not. Even then, getting louder may be normal. I have no idea and there is way too much conflicting information to worry about it.

In any case, I'm going to enjoy my ride as long as I can!

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford SSM 48168.

The phasers were revised and the PCM calibration was updated. In regards to what specifically was changed in the calibration, I am not a calibration engineer so I cannot speak to that. Also cannot comment on aftermarket tunes, not sure what parameters they change.

For vehicles built prior to 4/8/19, they will receive the updated part numbers and calibration per the SSM, which was published 9/5/19. So if you had your phasers replaced before that date and experience a repeat concern, you may have the old part number or the dealer didn't update the calibration.

Ford isn't looking to deny cam phaser warranty over an aftermarket tune. With a phaser manufacturing issue being identified, they should cover it no problem. Now if you have a rod through the block or detonation damage, that might warrant additional questions.
Ford SSM 48168 says that a TSB is expected to be published 4th quarter of 2019. My issue is not that bad yet and I only have 40k miles on my 2018. I am wondering if there will be new part numbers for this TSB and I should wait for that update. Just want to get the right fix once.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford SSM 48168 says that a TSB is expected to be published 4th quarter of 2019. My issue is not that bad yet and I only have 40k miles on my 2018. I am wondering if there will be new part numbers for this TSB and I should wait for that update. Just want to get the right fix once.

From what I've seen the new part numbers are already released. However, there is no guarantee that the part numbers and/or procedure won't be revised again for the TSB. I wouldn't blame you for waiting.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

This. I only have 15k miles but I have the issue as well every now and then. I want to wait til this is permanently sorted out first.

FordTechOne- Just wanted to say I appreciate all of your posts and insight. Very informative, thank you.

Ditto.

dburb

Reaction score
Hello First post here.
I have a 2018 Raptor that just developed the Cam Phaser noise on start up and the dealer suggest repairing it now. My question is does the newest service bulletin or TSB have them replacing all four Phasers as well as the solenoids or just the phasers. My dealer is under the impression it's just the phasers the mechanic also said they have several returns so he doesen't think the phasers are the main culprit. BTW thanks in advance for any clarity with this it's a real bummer th have this going on with such a otherwise great truck.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Always glad to help when I can!

OT, but since you seem to know about Ford fixing problems with their products, what's up with Ford resolving the issues with the new 8 Speed in the Edges/Nautiluses slamming in gear going from park to drive. Dealers have been told "Do nothing, keep checking Oasis, we are working on it." Been a while now since the "working on it" was pushed out.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello First post here.
I have a 2018 Raptor that just developed the Cam Phaser noise on start up and the dealer suggest repairing it now. My question is does the newest service bulletin or TSB have them replacing all four Phasers as well as the solenoids or just the phasers. My dealer is under the impression it's just the phasers the mechanic also said they have several returns so he doesen't think the phasers are the main culprit. BTW thanks in advance for any clarity with this it's a real bummer th have this going on with such a otherwise great truck.

The phasers and PCM calibration are the root cause of the issue. The VCT solenoids, timing chains, and tensioners are unrelated. If a dealer says they've had trucks come back after phaser replacement they most likely replaced the phasers with old parts before the SSM was released.