Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Hughes

Reaction score
All - It's not going to be my one and only post just to complain... Since posting I took the truck back to the dealer because the cold mornings have made the rattle significantly worse. They have now gone from "Not within the threshold" to replacing the cam phasers. Unfortunately I'm a month out on parts and another month on labor once they arrive.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All - It's not going to be my one and only post just to complain... Since posting I took the truck back to the dealer because the cold mornings have made the rattle significantly worse. They have now gone from "Not within the threshold" to replacing the cam phasers. Unfortunately I'm a month out on parts and another month on labor once they arrive.

What year is your truck and how many miles?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm a month out on parts and another month on labor once they arrive.

No, you’re not. These parts are out there, have them search other dealer inventories. Ford has some wacky inventory system. Pretty much nothing is readily available and if it’s not you get the ubiquitous “national back order” status. That’s because they’re not doing anything more than checking their own parts bins. If they were to search inventory at other local dealers they’d probably find them.

I mean, it’s not like the 3.5 is put in hundreds of thousands of vehicles... right?
And 1 month for labor? Not just no, HELL NO. it’s what - 16 hours labor (?)

1 month for labor. that’s just stupid to even suggest, no matter how long their wait list for service.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not unexpected. No one knows why the problem occurs so people can do nothing except speculate. What do you expect when a small percentage of people have the issue and the rest don't?

I've got a 2019, Sept 2019 build and I definnitely hear the issue. It's very quiet and muffled at this point but is absolutely definitely there. I stand in front of the engine. Put my ear to the grill. Start the engine. I hear the "rattle". After two seconds, the "rattle" sound disappears.

I expected as much but I bought the truck anyway. So it's on me. I gambled and lost. So I'll learn from this experience...

Build date of 09/19 is well past the production cutoff. If you have to put your ear to the grille to hear it, that is not cam phaser failure. When the phasers fail, you can hear them from 10 feet away. What you're hearing is most likely normal engine startup noise; these GTDIs make induction, fuel system, and turbocharger noise during a cold start. Same with every GTDI engine, they're trying to warm up as quickly as possible to enter closed loop. You may even be hearing the electronic waste gates cycling; on cold start the PCM cycles both turbocharger waste gates multiple times as part of the self test.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ‘squatch will return is still here lurking with several other id’s. Still, it’s quite satisfying to whack the troll accounts.

ETA: well done & thanks @Big Blue

I have his IP location locked now, so if you see any other active ID's please report them and those will also be killed off. Thanks.