5.4 vs 6.2 Liter Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, at times I read these posts and I can't tell if some of you are just trying to ignore the obvious, or truly have talked yourself into thinking that two items, significantly different in every way, can indeed NOT be different at all? You in essence are comparing something similar to the Mustang 5.0 to the Mustang GT500 and saying you could not tell? Really? Most of you would KILL to get an extra 100hp, and spend tons of cash to get that, yet here we have that and there are guys who say, "yup no real difference? Ok then, but there are time when you just have to stop the BS and agree to logic and set aside the defense mechanism that makes you want to say otherwise. Again I am NOT knocking the 5.4 as I have owned several (6) vehicles with that motor, but the 6.2 is a monster and every day I drive mine it gets stronger and stronger! And yes I drove them both, and spoke to Ford reps, and "waited" to get my 6.2 as it was INDEED the motor the truck was designed for, and will house going forward. So please.... really... defend as you may, but logic must prevail, and anyone who can sit here and post that the 5.4 is as strong as, or better, or just as good, well... really has no clue. Rant off, hope not to offend, just telling it like it is!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
....just telling it like it is for me!
Fixed that for ya.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I don't share it, but you don't see me telling ya you don't have a clue, for having it. How's about you return the courtesy?

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed that for ya.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I don't share it, but you don't see me telling ya you don't have a clue, for having it. How's about you return the courtesy?

Sorry if I INDEED offended you, but nothing I stated above indicated it was not my opinion! And again, this is exactly what I mean by why there seems to be tension when none is needed if you fall back on simple logic. I am not sure why guys with the 5.4 feel the need to defend something so obvious? No one stated the 5.4 was a bad motor, but to continue or attempt to make it better in any way over the 6.2 makes no sense whatsoever. And if indeed that is the need, then anything stating as much will appear as it is, defending, not factual. You can look at several threads here of guys with the 5.4 looking for ways to gain more HP, well guess what.... the 6.2 has that HP and more.

Bottom line, I am not trying to create tension, nor am I trying to defend one motor over another. I am just shocked at the defense mechanism on something so rudimentary and something that has basic common sense attached to it. Just all seems like grade-school stuff and does nothing more than create tension and upset people... These are Raptors not motors... and we all share that.....

So yes, ALL of my post above was my humble opinion, and posted without malice. I apologize if anyone takes my honesty in any other manner! Good day!

MMC Racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Opinions are opinions, but numbers are numbers.. HP, TQ, 0-60, 1/4 mile.. All these things say one thing.. Butt sensors may say otherwise.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry if I INDEED offended you, but nothing I stated above indicated it was not my opinion! And again, this is exactly what I mean by why there seems to be tension when none is needed if you fall back on simple logic.
Fair warning... I'm a Vulcan when it comes to logic. I'm kinda notorious for it :mrgreen:

And no offense taken at all. You'd have to work a lot harder than that, to get to me :wink:

For some of us, the 5.4 is a better choice than the 6.2. For others, not so much. There are concrete numbers to consider and then there are other factors that are at least as important, if not more important to many of us. Perhaps if you would care to list those points, specifically, you take issue with I/we might be better able to explain why I/we feel the way we do?

But as it is right now, I'm afraid your post comes off as a rant from a guy with an axe to grind, not really helpful nor interested in discussing?

TeamFordRaptor

Reaction score
I do agree to a large extent with SLB8SNK, the 6.2 is just a better motor. Ford would not have offered it, nor raced it in the Baja if it had the same feel etc. etc. (Based on stock 412hp rating. The 6.2 Raptor actually dyno's around 435hp) <--- What cracks me up is that there are guys defending their 5.4 (and rightfully so) but then I see them in another chat wanting to get a turbo that will take it to 420hp and 430 torque. 8 more hp than the stock "ratings" and 4 lb ft torque less than stock "ratings". The turbo is somewhere between $4,000 to $10,000 depending on shipping, who installs it, kits and so on. The 6.2 was a $3,000 option. So it begs the question, does everyone really think their 5.4 feels the same as a 6.2?

"But Aaron, it's a turbo! Theres more power and feel to it!" FANTASTIC! It's called turbo lag. We have already had a cusomer come in with a 5.4 turbo charged. Until the turbos spool up, it's a 5.4 and then when it gets wound up, it's a 6.2. In our drag race with his truck, the 6.2 pulled ahead off the line. The 5.4 was end of the 6.2's bed when the turbo kicked in and the 5.4 stayed right at the end of the bed. All that effort put into a 5.4 and it still won't beat the 6.2.

Bottom line, if you are content with your 5.4, I most certainly am not one to rain on anyones parade, especially their Raptor. 90% of the owners of a 5.4 that drove a 6.2 at the Raptor Round Up said they felt a huge difference in performance. That's all there is. The 5.4 doesn't suck, it's not a gas guzzling paper weight as those handicapped Chevy owners think, it's a great motor! Ford just spent the extra R&D to produce a better motor for those who want the extra kick coming out of that corner and up the jump for that picture perfect moment!!! My buddy Dan knows about that one ;)

But no one needs to bash the 5.4! I have an F-150 with it and it (unlike my friends Chevy counterpart) hasn't broken down or failed me yet. Not in 6 years and 120,000 miles!

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair warning... I'm a Vulcan when it comes to logic. I'm kinda notorious for it :mrgreen:

And no offense taken at all. You'd have to work a lot harder than that, to get to me :wink:

For some of us, the 5.4 is a better choice than the 6.2. For others, not so much. There are concrete numbers to consider and then there are other factors that are at least as important, if not more important to many of us. Perhaps if you would care to list those points, specifically, you take issue with I/we might be better able to explain why I/we feel the way we do?

But as it is right now, I'm afraid your post comes off as a rant from a guy with an axe to grind, not really helpful nor interested in discussing?

I find humor in this, what "axe" would I have to grind? And lets get one thing straight... I NEVER said there was NO reason for someone to want a 5.4, I referenced the defense of those who say there is NO difference, or that the 5.4 is better or whatever. And if you are a VULCAN on logic, then why do you fail to see it here? There is not one argument I can see as to why anyone would "want" the 5.4 over the 6.2 that has not been corrected using logic? Other than the misnomer on MPG which I think the jury is still out on, I personally see NO advantage of the 5.4 over the 6.2 yet there are those would will argue that to the death. Again, I don't really care to be honest, I am glad you love and defend your 5.4, as you should since you just spent up-wards of 40K on it... I am done, and see no need to banter or get sucked into the defense of a motor over another. You missed my point, but if it makes you feel better, you win! I am not here to make enemies, nor to **** people off, nor to create any sort of malice intent, just posting my comments and opinions like a big boy and hoping to keep an honest perspective on all I post, and continue to make friends on a site with shared mutual interests.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do agree to a large extent with SLB8SNK, the 6.2 is just a better motor. Ford would not have offered it, nor raced it in the Baja if it had the same feel etc. etc. (Based on stock 412hp rating. The 6.2 Raptor actually dyno's around 435hp) <--- What cracks me up is that there are guys defending their 5.4 (and rightfully so) but then I see them in another chat wanting to get a turbo that will take it to 420hp and 430 torque. 8 more hp than the stock "ratings" and 4 lb ft torque less than stock "ratings".
To be fair, you're comparing rear wheel power numbers to flywheel numbers. You've got to subtract around 20% off the 435/434 6.2 (best case?) stated flywheel numbers, to get a true comparison since the turbo numbers are quotes as being measured at the rear wheels: 420 5.4 turbo vs 348 6.2 hp and 430 5.4 turbo vs 348 6.2 torque. The turbo'd 5.4 offers 72hp and 82trq more than a 6.2, at the rear wheels. Quite a difference when you look at it in those terms.

But even so, speaking specifically for only me, I don't think you (or SLB8SNK) is wrong when you say the "6.2 is a better motor" IF we're talking about future mod capabilities. No question the 6.2 is a far superior platform to start with, if you plan to modify it later.

I also don't think you're wrong when you say it if you mean for "out of the box" performance. Duh... the numbers don't lie.

However, I would hesitate to say its a better motor for running alternative fuels, or from a parts availability perspective, or from a proven trackrecord perspective, or even from a gas milage perspective.

I would also like to see a 5.4 and 6.2 dyno'd on the same day on the same dyno, and those charts overlayed. No question the 6.2 kills on the top end, but I have my suspicions regarding the torque curve at the lower end. I'm willing to bet that the disparity isn't dramatic, if at all for a good portion of the RPM scale.

See? Its hard to swallow blanket statements that "its better". Yes, and no.

The turbo is somewhere between $4,000 to $10,000 depending on shipping, who installs it, kits and so on. The 6.2 was a $3,000 option. So it begs the question, does everyone really think their 5.4 feels the same as a 6.2?
That's a tough on too; you're comparing global costs, and you're right. But, relatively speaking, for me the 6.2 was almost a $9k upgrade. I was able to get a smoking deal on a 5.4, and I would have had to pay at or maybe even a little above sticker on a 6.2. That wont always be the case, of course, but I wasn't willing to wait a year. So, a $6k turbo vs a $9k motor upgrade... see again? Not so clear cut.

"But Aaron, it's a turbo! Theres more power and feel to it!" FANTASTIC! It's called turbo lag. We have already had a cusomer come in with a 5.4 turbo charged. Until the turbos spool up, it's a 5.4 and then when it gets wound up, it's a 6.2. In our drag race with his truck, the 6.2 pulled ahead off the line. The 5.4 was end of the 6.2's bed when the turbo kicked in and the 5.4 stayed right at the end of the bed. All that effort put into a 5.4 and it still won't beat the 6.2.
Interesting! Lets add the Eforce to my fantasy land tests; a stock 5.4, a stock 6.2 and an EForced 5.4 all on the same day, all on the same dyno, run by the same operator in the same operating conditions...

(OH GAWD THOSE WHO KNOW ME AND MY PAST HISTORY WITH THE MFO PLEASE SLAP ME AROUND RIGHT NOW AND STOP ME!! :mrgreen: )

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SLB8SNK, deep breaths buddy :) Take a look at my response to TeamFordRaptor to get a sense of what I'm trying to say. :spock: :bananaelvis: