5.4 vs 6.2 Liter Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegasfergie

Reaction score
Hey I said it before, I would have waited for the 6.2 if I knew at the time it was coming out. Now I'm just debating getting the Edlebrock blower or trading in mine for a 6.2. This thread has digressed I think. I was just looking for opinions from people who've driven, or better yet, owned both on what they thought. Like I pointed out earlier the stats don't lie, but how it behaves around town, then in the dirt, etc.... just looking for peoples thoughts. Let's not let this get into a pissing contest over which motor is stronger, there's no debating that. And again I love my truck, but were men and there's no substitute for more power!!!! More horsepower good Jane! hahahaha :bananaelvis:

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where's Dan?......:potstir::potstir::potstir:
Hah! He aint no dummy.

The problem, as I see it, is sometimes folks like to point at one thing and say "its better!" than the other thing next to it. Unfortunately, someone else will usually come along and say "No way! This is better!". And then a third guy comes in and says "Quit being a dillhole. The first thing is obviously way better and you're a dillhole for not realizing it" and off we go.

I think all three guys in my example are being dillholes; in the case of our Raptors, there are just too many things to consider, with 95% of them being totally opinion based, to justify blanket statements of any kind.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I would have gotten the 6.2 if it was available when I got my truck but it wasn't so I didn't. I didn't care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times so I didn't see the need to wait 6-10 additional months for something that wasn't an issue. I bought the truck to drive off-raod and have fun....the 5.4 does that just fine. When the time comes and I need more HP I'll need more suspension and a cage too...cage, long-travel and hopefully a 6.2 crate engine wth 500hp

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would have gotten the 6.2 if it was available when I got my truck but it wasn't so I didn't. I didn't care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times so I didn't see the need to wait 6-10 additional months for something that wasn't an issue. I bought the truck to drive off-raod and have fun....the 5.4 does that just fine. When the time comes and I need more HP I'll need more suspension and a cage too...cage, long-travel and hopefully a 6.2 crate engine wth 500hp
Showoff.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hah! He aint no dummy.

Yes I am!

CrashTestDummy.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

1. More power is always better (except in politics)
2. It's not the power you have it's knowing how to use it safely and being able to use it well (on the track or offroad)
3. In my experience, those obssessed with power typically are straightline drivers (1/4 mile junkies or street queen drivers)

Someone once said, "Learn to use what you have before you hammer others for having less."

See you in the desert! :thumbsup:

MMC Racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also like to see a 5.4 and 6.2 dyno'd on the same day on the same dyno, and those charts overlayed. No question the 6.2 kills on the top end, but I have my suspicions regarding the torque curve at the lower end. I'm willing to bet that the disparity isn't dramatic, if at all for a good portion of the RPM scale.

The 1.5s 0-60 difference tells the story here. Torque is what moves the truck out of the hole and an improvement that big can only be achieved with a much improved torque curve.

If any 5.4 owners in San Diego are up for a dyno comparision, I'm willing to drop the coin to have mine tested.

-Mark

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 1.5s 0-60 difference tells the story here. Torque is what moves the truck out of the hole and an improvement that big can only be achieved with a much improved torque curve.
That's true. However, I don't recall those tests being done on the same day, same track, same driver. Or were they? If not, I'm a little bit skeptical; at least in as much as I'd like to see the test rerun with both trucks, on the same day, same track, same driver etc. As a former "1/4 junkie" I know all too well how different conditions can totally skew numbers in either way. Not saying that's the case here... just saying its probably worth a retest under identical conditions, if we're gonna take the numbers as gospel.

If any 5.4 owners in San Diego are up for a dyno comparision, I'm willing to drop the coin to have mine tested.

-Mark
Hmmmmm....plan to be in the Sacramento area any time soon? I've got a loooooong standing relationship with a prominent dyno operator up there, who's literally run a thousand dyno pulls for me in tests just like this. We could then head over to the 1/4 after some good eats and line em up for a pass or three?

TeamFordRaptor

Reaction score
AHA BigJ, never said how many times we ran the drag did I? Haha! Same identical run everytime 4 times (2 times down the street, 2 times up the street. It is an inclined road) 4 times to the same avail is good enough for me. I've raced most my life so my driving habits don't change and Ron has raced Baja for years. Now the numbers I can see where that may come in to play, but again, you just typed it yourself, the numbers are better. That's not a 2011 V6 with 305hp vs. a 2010 GT with 320 where it's a small difference, that's 90hp between trucks. The money aspect of it is spot on, I knew that typing my price range cause it really can be 4 grand all the way to 10. The $9k difference in engine price though is way off. If in terms of what was available on the lot such as navigation and moonroof vs. nothing then sure but dang! I love both engines so as I said, no one engine needs to be praised over the other, just as long as people aren't saying they're the same. That's all I'm getting at so no need to pick it apart.