5.4 vs 6.2 Liter Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6K for that kit is cheap for what you are getting.

It's a large company with a well funded engineering team, an available warranty, and someone to call if there are problems. You can even save more by installing it yourself. Does not seem like a difficult install.

Shop prices for other forced induction kits from other companies/boutique "garage tuners"/fly by night operations and you'll see what I mean, all variables included.

Compared to my original plans of blowing $20,000 on a crate GT500 motor, tuning, etc it's a relative bargain.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I test drove a 6.2L truck yesterday and I have to say it's not worth the extra $3K and Lightning like MPGs. It drove identically to my 5.4L truck. Yes, when you laid into the loud pedal it would put you back in the seat but not at the level in which it was hyped up to be. I think with the mods that are going on my truck it will prove to be a much better investment then upgrading (if you can call it that) to a 6.2L.

vegasfergie

Reaction score
I just read and article in Truck Trend and it shows the 0-60 times for the 5.4 and 6.2. It was 8.3 sec 5.4/6.5 sec for the 6.2. With that much of a difference I would expect more people who have driven both to say there's more of a wow factor. That OMG difference right?? Well XJR was right that it's probably a wash trading up to the 6.2, or just getting a blower. If that's the case the e Force get's you 478hp....hmmm.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just from past experiences at the drag strip...i would get the "wow" factor when there is a 3 second difference in 0-60...now a 1.8 difference (what the 6.2 has)....dont think so

I drove a 6.2, as a friend of mine found an all black raptor 6.2 in montana for an excellent price.

i drove it..and i stated that im glad i got the more fuel efficient vehicle between the two, wasnt that drastic at all. He drove mine and said he could tell a difference between the 2 as well, but nothing drastic. Mind you all i got is my home fab CAI, super 44 exhaust and a K&N...so maybe that helps? i dunno...never dyno'd it.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The suspension makes both trucks feel slower than they are. I think the 6.2 really shines in the mid range, and accelerating to pass on the highway where the extra torque can shine. But in a while, if it proves durable, theres always that new Edelbrock scharger...

Tumbler

Reaction score
This thread topic should always end with "I'll be back!" in honor of the Terminator films. It can't be killed and it can't be reasoned with. As stated in the prior epic thread which honored Spinal Tap, I think the 6.2 gives you the option of more torque and more horsepower down the line without having to resort to forced-induction. With the 6.2L you are buying "an eleven."

Having had a 5.4L with a Whipple supercharger ($7000) it was nice but if I could have most of those benefits without having to use 93 octane gas, find 93 octane gas, and deal with increased maintenance costs with shortened maintenance intervals, then I will take it. I do miss the Mad Max howl that truck made at WOT.

PS I have test driven both 5.4L and 6.2L engines several times without the dealer riding shotgun. With both engines at stock trim the 6.2L is definitely quicker and suffers from less gear hunting issues than the 5.4L. Again, that was stock, not modified with intake/exhaust, tune, etc...

Reaction score
i tried both 5.4,6.2 and i found very little difference in power. however i did want the 6.2..i like the bulkier 5.4 in these my opinion.either way, both are great trucks!!

MMC Racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just from past experiences at the drag strip...i would get the "wow" factor when there is a 3 second difference in 0-60...now a 1.8 difference (what the 6.2 has)....dont think so

1.8s in 0-60 is HUGE... That is the difference between my stock G37 and my modified GT-R with almost a 3sec difference at the 1/4 mile mark. Maybe you meant 1.8s in the 1/4 isn't that huge (but it still is).

Numbers don't lie - but your butt meter may not be that sensitive in a 6000lb truck.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I think the 6.2 really shines in the mid range, and accelerating to pass on the highway where the extra torque can shine.

This is my impression as well. Going from 70-speed limiter happens in the blink of an eye. It was also my impression that the 5.4 has a little more grunt down low. I would be interesting to overlay power / torque curves of the two to see which makes what where. If someone had DynoJet files, the software to display the runs is free on their website.