5.4 vs 6.2 Liter Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
No one is arguing the power differneces in the 2 that's obvious. I went from an E-350 with a 5.4L to the Raptor so the power increase and feel were much increased. If I went from a 5.4L F150 to the Raptor I may have waited for the 6.2L...but then again I may not have. I still think I made the right decision seeing as I have almost 28,000 miles of driving the most amaxing car I have ever had...regardless of engine size.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AHA BigJ, never said how many times we ran the drag did I? Haha! Same identical run everytime 4 times (2 times down the street, 2 times up the street. It is an inclined road) 4 times to the same avail is good enough for me. I've raced most my life so my driving habits don't change and Ron has raced Baja for years. Now the numbers I can see where that may come in to play, but again, you just typed it yourself, the numbers are better. That's not a 2011 V6 with 305hp vs. a 2010 GT with 320 where it's a small difference, that's 90hp between trucks. The money aspect of it is spot on, I knew that typing my price range cause it really can be 4 grand all the way to 10. The $9k difference in engine price though is way off. If in terms of what was available on the lot such as navigation and moonroof vs. nothing then sure but dang! I love both engines so as I said, no one engine needs to be praised over the other, just as long as people aren't saying they're the same. That's all I'm getting at so no need to pick it apart.
Roger that buddy. I dont think we disagree on the whole. Maybe just in a couple of details that don't really matter anyway.

And not to belabor the point, but I do want to say that I mentioned the $9k number because that was reality for me. Obviously that's not Ford's pricing, but when I looked at what I could buy a 5.4 for at that moment, vs what a 6.2 was going to cost me (as quoted by a dealer) for an otherwise identically equipped truck, the difference came to just under $9k. No joke. So, for me, to "buy the 6.2" I would have had to wait for it (several months extra) and I would have had to come out of pocket $9k more than I did. That's what I was trying to say, regarding that number.

TeamFordRaptor

Reaction score
I believe you in that aspect, I just can't believe it was that big of a difference, YICKS. Either way, I love the truck and am very proud of Ford!

And BigJ, I only have one beef to pick with you......... What the hell happened to your Uncle Rick picture????? Haha!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe you in that aspect, I just can't believe it was that big of a difference, YICKS. Either way, I love the truck and am very proud of Ford!
Amen to that! I had to laugh when I had to the two best quotes in front of me, did some quick math and came up with 9 large... I asked if they were joking... they weren't.

And BigJ, I only have one beef to pick with you......... What the hell happened to your Uncle Rick picture????? Haha!
Excuse you... my friends and enemies call me Uncle Rico. So that's Uncle Rico to you, Sir.

uncle_rico.jpg

I still say I could throw that football over them mountains.

MMC Racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember as the dust settles and the price paid for a 6.2L mirrors the price paid for a 5.4L (in % off MSRP) is that there is not a $3000 loss when buying the 6.2L over the 5.4L. You may save that much up front and a certain amount in interest when financing, but you will return that when sold (or you will have a higher valued paid off asset). It is also possible (since we are speculating a lot in this thread) that 5.4's will have to sell at a much higher discount in the used car market as the 6.2L may be more sought after.

To pull an example from Ford truck history, compare the 01 Harley versus the 02/03 Harley.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SLB8SNK... You are certainly entitled to your opinions just as the rest of us are. I've witnessed a stock 5.4 against a 6.2. I can tell you who wins. The 6.2. Hands down. No Question. But not by as much as you might expect. (Hell, not by as much as I expected!)

Each powerplant definitely has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Try running E85 in your 6.2 (please don't, you'd probably damage it!) The ability to run E85 is an advantage for some. Just as for others, they much prefer gasoline or don't have access to E85 so the 6.2 has the advantage of more power without using E85.

One thing I heard over and over at the Roundup (and TEAMFORDRAPTOR even mentioned part of it on these forums) is that the 5.4 "handled better" on the track than the 6.2. The most common comment regarded the perceived greater tendency of the 6.2 to "nose dive" on a jump. Other comments were regarding handling in the corners... the opinion was the extra weight of the 6.2 engine was the reason.

On the other side, it seemed unanimous that the 6.2 felt more responsive. As far as the claim that the 6.2 felt so much more powerful to most there? Not my experience. Either truck was capable of going way faster than safe on the track with very little throttle. Two of the Ford Corporate reps told me that on that track, they truly believed it would be hard to tell the difference between the power of the engines for most people.

This list of differences could go on for pages.... But what it all comes down to is what is important to you may not be important to me! And when you look at it that way, maybe you'll notice there are several significant differences between the two engines other than the 6.2 advertised peak power numbers are higher.

<sigh> So go ahead and bash away. Tell me I'm crazy and I don't know what I'm talking about. I'll respond in advance: What I've said in this post is based on my real-life experience. Not "numbers". Not "0-60 results" taken months apart under who knows what differing conditions. I'm not a salesman trying to talk someone into a more expensive option. And the truth be told, I'd LOVE to have a 6.2!

But comparing a 5.4 to a 6.2 is simply NOT like comparing a Mustang 5.0 to a GT500! Not even close! And that's not my opinion. That's my EXPERIENCE.

YMMV. :cheers:

MMC Racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try running E85 in your 6.2 (please don't, you'd probably damage it!) The ability to run E85 is an advantage for some. Just as for others, they much prefer gasoline or don't have access to E85 so the 6.2 has the advantage of more power without using E85.

Guys will be running E85 in the 6.2's soon enough. Being able to run E85 is really as simple as tuning for it and checking fuel delivery. It is quite possible that injectors and maybe pumps will need to be upgraded, but we are talking under $1000 + tuning to be able to run E85.

-Mark