Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

5.4 vs 6.2 Liter Power

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by bradyh20, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MarkT

MarkT FRF Addict

I'm not up on aftermarket E85 conversions... do they sense what fuel you are running or do you have to manually switch tunes when going back to gasoline?

And conservatively you'd be into the conversion maybe $1800? Add that to the $3000 premium for the 6.2 and you'd be up close to $5000. Not too far below the Edelbrock blower kit for the 5.4.

(Just thinking out loud)

Anyway, that's a whole other debate. So far the comparison has been "as delivered from Ford". Once we start adding in what "could" be done, all bets are off. (at this early date the 5.4 might have an advantage. There are a lot more off the shelf mod parts available for the 5.4 at this point... but I'm sure that will be changing quickly!)

2. MMC Racing

MMC Racing Full Access Member

The tunes I am used to for E85 are dedicated and you flash another tune if you need to run unleaded. I would suspect that would be the case for running it with the 6.2L.

I don't really think the point is 1/4 mile times or horsepower numbers, it is the powerband delivered where it is most needed. That could be everyday driving or ripping across the desert. If we wanted bang for the buck in the 1/4 mile, we'd strap on 100 shot, do a little tuning, and call it a day.

One concern I would have on any supercharger kit is how well the intercooler is designed.. How good of a job will it do in extreme desert conditions? There may be a requirement to upgrade intercoolers on any kit to match more extreme driving.

3. MarkT

MarkT FRF Addict

Thanks for the info. I use both gas and E85 and changing tunes would be too much of a PITA for me. Maybe a future 6.2 Raptor will come E85 ready?

Points well taken. The stock 5.4 has more than enough power to get me into trouble on or off road. And the low to mid range torque is amplified noticeably on E85.

The 6.2 feels similar, biggest difference IMHO is that a 6.2 feels more "refined" and responsive.

4. boxcartommie22

boxcartommie22 Member

you said it all mark, i would love to have the 6.2 but i just love the 3v 5.4 just as much.

5. bstoner59

bstoner59 does it come in shmedium?

I still want to run a 6.2 side-by-side in the dirt with my 5.4....I have a feeling it's more of a drivers race than anyone cares to admit. Fall is on the way and the 6.2s are out. Hopefully my wish will come true ;)

6. Xjrguy

Xjrguy FRF Addict

Make sure the 6.2 you run has Deavers.

7. The Tank

The Tank FRF Addict

With the way the 6.2L guys make it sound that shouldn't make a bit of difference.

8. Xjrguy

Xjrguy FRF Addict

Would hate for anyone to claim unfair advantage. :popcorn:

9. SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK Full Access Member

Mark, I am not going to disagree with one thing you stated here, HOWEVER, no where did I bash the 5.4. Matter of fact I stated I have owned several and loved them all? So I am not sure why this has turned into me bashing the 5.4, as never did I do that. I did state that I thought it was funny how guys defended their motor of choice regardless of true numbers and facts. I never bashed the motor, never bashed a person, never did anything with malice. I don't need a lesson on motors, or why anyone selected their motor of choice, as I don't really care. This was never me bashing anything, just a bunch of guys continuing to defend and find reasons for their purchase. If some of you want to take things out of context and make a big deal out of it, then fine. I will limit my posts and treads so as not to offend anyone here. Please accept my apology for thinking this was a site where guys could banter all in fun and not take things to heart! Done with this post.

10. Xjrguy

Xjrguy FRF Addict