5.4 vs 6.2 Liter Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys will be running E85 in the 6.2's soon enough. Being able to run E85 is really as simple as tuning for it and checking fuel delivery. It is quite possible that injectors and maybe pumps will need to be upgraded, but we are talking under $1000 + tuning to be able to run E85.

-Mark

I'm not up on aftermarket E85 conversions... do they sense what fuel you are running or do you have to manually switch tunes when going back to gasoline?

And conservatively you'd be into the conversion maybe $1800? Add that to the $3000 premium for the 6.2 and you'd be up close to $5000. Not too far below the Edelbrock blower kit for the 5.4.

(Just thinking out loud)

Anyway, that's a whole other debate. So far the comparison has been "as delivered from Ford". Once we start adding in what "could" be done, all bets are off. (at this early date the 5.4 might have an advantage. There are a lot more off the shelf mod parts available for the 5.4 at this point... but I'm sure that will be changing quickly!)

MMC Racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not up on aftermarket E85 conversions... do they sense what fuel you are running or do you have to manually switch tunes when going back to gasoline?

And conservatively you'd be into the conversion maybe $1800? Add that to the $3000 premium for the 6.2 and you'd be up close to $5000. Not too far below the Edelbrock blower kit for the 5.4.

(Just thinking out loud)

Anyway, that's a whole other debate. So far the comparison has been "as delivered from Ford". Once we start adding in what "could" be done, all bets are off. (at this early date the 5.4 might have an advantage. There are a lot more off the shelf mod parts available for the 5.4 at this point... but I'm sure that will be changing quickly!)

The tunes I am used to for E85 are dedicated and you flash another tune if you need to run unleaded. I would suspect that would be the case for running it with the 6.2L.

I don't really think the point is 1/4 mile times or horsepower numbers, it is the powerband delivered where it is most needed. That could be everyday driving or ripping across the desert. If we wanted bang for the buck in the 1/4 mile, we'd ******** 100 shot, do a little tuning, and call it a day.

One concern I would have on any supercharger kit is how well the intercooler is designed.. How good of a job will it do in extreme desert conditions? There may be a requirement to upgrade intercoolers on any kit to match more extreme driving.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The tunes I am used to for E85 are dedicated and you flash another tune if you need to run unleaded. I would suspect that would be the case for running it with the 6.2L.

I don't really think the point is 1/4 mile times or horsepower numbers, it is the powerband delivered where it is most needed. That could be everyday driving or ripping across the desert. If we wanted bang for the buck in the 1/4 mile, we'd ******** 100 shot, do a little tuning, and call it a day.

One concern I would have on any supercharger kit is how well the intercooler is designed.. How good of a job will it do in extreme desert conditions? There may be a requirement to upgrade intercoolers on any kit to match more extreme driving.

Thanks for the info. I use both gas and E85 and changing tunes would be too much of a PITA for me. Maybe a future 6.2 Raptor will come E85 ready?

Points well taken. The stock 5.4 has more than enough power to get me into trouble on or off road. And the low to mid range torque is amplified noticeably on E85.

The 6.2 feels similar, biggest difference IMHO is that a 6.2 feels more "refined" and responsive.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I still want to run a 6.2 side-by-side in the dirt with my 5.4....I have a feeling it's more of a drivers race than anyone cares to admit. Fall is on the way and the 6.2s are out. Hopefully my wish will come true ;)

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still want to run a 6.2 side-by-side in the dirt with my 5.4....I have a feeling it's more of a drivers race than anyone cares to admit. Fall is on the way and the 6.2s are out. Hopefully my wish will come true ;)

Make sure the 6.2 you run has Deavers.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SLB8SNK... You are certainly entitled to your opinions just as the rest of us are. I've witnessed a stock 5.4 against a 6.2. I can tell you who wins. The 6.2. Hands down. No Question. But not by as much as you might expect. (Hell, not by as much as I expected!)

Each powerplant definitely has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Try running E85 in your 6.2 (please don't, you'd probably damage it!) The ability to run E85 is an advantage for some. Just as for others, they much prefer gasoline or don't have access to E85 so the 6.2 has the advantage of more power without using E85.

One thing I heard over and over at the Roundup (and TEAMFORDRAPTOR even mentioned part of it on these forums) is that the 5.4 "handled better" on the track than the 6.2. The most common comment regarded the perceived greater tendency of the 6.2 to "nose dive" on a jump. Other comments were regarding handling in the corners... the opinion was the extra weight of the 6.2 engine was the reason.

On the other side, it seemed unanimous that the 6.2 felt more responsive. As far as the claim that the 6.2 felt so much more powerful to most there? Not my experience. Either truck was capable of going way faster than safe on the track with very little throttle. Two of the Ford Corporate reps told me that on that track, they truly believed it would be hard to tell the difference between the power of the engines for most people.

This list of differences could go on for pages.... But what it all comes down to is what is important to you may not be important to me! And when you look at it that way, maybe you'll notice there are several significant differences between the two engines other than the 6.2 advertised peak power numbers are higher.

<sigh> So go ahead and bash away. Tell me I'm crazy and I don't know what I'm talking about. I'll respond in advance: What I've said in this post is based on my real-life experience. Not "numbers". Not "0-60 results" taken months apart under who knows what differing conditions. I'm not a salesman trying to talk someone into a more expensive option. And the truth be told, I'd LOVE to have a 6.2!

But comparing a 5.4 to a 6.2 is simply NOT like comparing a Mustang 5.0 to a GT500! Not even close! And that's not my opinion. That's my EXPERIENCE.

YMMV. :cheers:

Mark, I am not going to disagree with one thing you stated here, HOWEVER, no where did I bash the 5.4. Matter of fact I stated I have owned several and loved them all? So I am not sure why this has turned into me bashing the 5.4, as never did I do that. I did state that I thought it was funny how guys defended their motor of choice regardless of true numbers and facts. I never bashed the motor, never bashed a person, never did anything with malice. I don't need a lesson on motors, or why anyone selected their motor of choice, as I don't really care. This was never me bashing anything, just a bunch of guys continuing to defend and find reasons for their purchase. If some of you want to take things out of context and make a big deal out of it, then fine. I will limit my posts and treads so as not to offend anyone here. Please accept my apology for thinking this was a site where guys could banter all in fun and not take things to heart! Done with this post.