@ 430 hp and only 475 lb-ft....i guess the V8 in Raptor crowd will pipe down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have always wondered what is the weight diff between the 6.2 and the 3.5EB. I wonder if the 3.5's 449 pounds includes the turbos and the inter-cooler?

7.3 is a pushrod engine meaning it is lighter vs a 6.2. The 6.2 weighs 580lb the 3.5 Ecoboost is 449. So the 7.3 should be in between these engines in term of weight.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I read about this 7.3L engine... I’m really impressed with it.

Of course I knew from the first press release that it was a work truck motor, so it m not disappointed that it won’t go in the Raptor or that the “peak” power numbers seem low.

That flat torque curve starting at a really low 1500 RPM and the virtually linear HP curve are impressive and is going to really “feel” good driving around with a load or without.

Don’t be fooled though... it’s still a huge V8 and somewhat “de-tuned” with low compression. Blowers will be available and it will take plenty of boost. 650/650 should be pretty easy with a stage 1... if you’re into that.

I could see a 7.3L Tremor package F250 being more desirable to most than the Raptor... add that blower and it’s over.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I read about this 7.3L engine... I’m really impressed with it.

Of course I knew from the first press release that it was a work truck motor, so it m not disappointed that it won’t go in the Raptor or that the “peak” power numbers seem low.

That flat torque curve starting at a really low 1500 RPM and the virtually linear HP curve are impressive and is going to really “feel” good driving around with a load or without.

Don’t be fooled though... it’s still a huge V8 and somewhat “de-tuned” with low compression. Blowers will be available and it will take plenty of boost. 650/650 should be pretty easy with a stage 1... if you’re into that.

I could see a 7.3L Tremor package F250 being more desirable to most than the Raptor... add that blower and it’s over.

It does always amaze me when I see Gen 1 guys say how the 6.2 is better becuase if you put a SC on it then it makes more power that the 3.5L EB. Well of course it does as it's a much bigger engine. I prefer to compare stock to stock since only a few people will buy these types of trucks and modify them to the point the factory warranty is gone.

Now if you are one of those people I can see you wanting a V8 in the raptor as you can put a FI on it and make it a killer machine. And that's great, but it does not make the base V8 ":better" than the 3.5EB.

I don't think the 7.3L tremor will really affect Raptor sales much at all, but you are right if someone wants to go super bad a$$ then they will get the 7.3L, put a blower on it and have a machine. Really though would it be better to do that or just have the PS engine and have full warranty and much better resale?

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you on warranty... but really Fords warranty is only 36 months and they do their best to deny claims.

This motor is probably as close to bullet proof as they have right now... plus they beefed up the 10 speed to go with it. If it’s built to handle loads and towing, it will handle a blower just as well.

As for cross shopping the F250 Tremor and F150 Raptor... it all comes down to price. If they are priced similar... the Tremor with this motor and trans is a lot more truck and potential for your money.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you on warranty... but really Fords warranty is only 36 months and they do their best to deny claims.

This motor is probably as close to bullet proof as they have right now... plus they beefed up the 10 speed to go with it. If it’s built to handle loads and towing, it will handle a blower just as well.

As for cross shopping the F250 Tremor and F150 Raptor... it all comes down to price. If they are priced similar... the Tremor with this motor and trans is a lot more truck and potential for your money.

I see the tremor being a response to the Power Wagon more than anything else. Also Ford saw how many guys are putting lifts and tires on F-250 and said "heck we can do that and make more money." In reading the info on the tremor there is much less involved in it than the Raptor. The tremor is truly just a lift, slightly different shocks, and bigger wheels/tires. Will some people cross shop them, i'm sure some will.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the tremor being a response to the Power Wagon more than anything else. Also Ford saw how many guys are putting lifts and tires on F-250 and said "heck we can do that and make more money." In reading the info on the tremor there is much less involved in it than the Raptor. The tremor is truly just a lift, slightly different shocks, and bigger wheels/tires. Will some people cross shop them, i'm sure some will.

Exactly. The Raptor is a purpose built truck for high speed off roading. The guy who wants a mud-bigger or a hunting rig to put a camper on is way better off with an F250. A new generation big block v8 just makes it all the better.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The Raptor is a purpose built truck for high speed off roading. The guy who wants a mud-bigger or a hunting rig to put a camper on is way better off with an F250. A new generation big block v8 just makes it all the better.

Agreed... but the “purpose” of the Raptor is very narrow. The Tremor 250 is a more well rounded and more capable overall truck.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can't you get the Tremor w/ the turbo diesel too?

I thought that was the case, and if so, makes it a very intriguing buy

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered what is the weight diff between the 6.2 and the 3.5EB. I wonder if the 3.5's 449 pounds includes the turbos and the inter-cooler?

I believe the 449lb includes the turbos but not the intercooler.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked this in a separate thread, but this one is more popular so asking again: Is it really outside the realm of possibility that Ford would/could swap the cam on this 7.3 to make it a high performer?

A simple, reliable engine is exactly what the Raptor needs IMO (but it also has to perform). I think I'd prefer that route than the 5.2 GT500 engine honestly.