TRX goes boom, Raptor saves the day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This video was interesting. Outside of breaking, which can happen. But a tranny line? Um ok.

I found his review and finally a decent review of putting the truck through its paces as an ordinary dude would do. Heavy front end? Truck doesn’t give you confidence. Handles at best as good off road as a Raptor maybe? And he’s comparing it to a Gen 2. The TRX was supposedly engineered to beat the Gen 2 in every way right?

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The TRX was supposedly engineered to beat the Gen 2 in every way right?

Not exactly. It was engineered to beat it on paper. By an inch here, an inch there, a hundred pounds of towing capacity, etc. And to have huge horsepower. It was all about specs, not actual performance. The problem with that is that performance vehicles need to perform in the real world, not just on paper. I think we're getting closer to declaring the TRX a paper tiger ...

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just looked at a couple of those posts on the TRX forum. Wow...

"UPDATE: The truck was towed up to the dealer I bought it from (flatbed to avoid miles). Finally a kind gesture from someone, as I didn't have to pay or ask for the flatbed, the service manager simply told me that was the plan. They got the truck in the air and based on just one day in the shop they found that two of the injectors were installed in the wrong cylinders"

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"UPDATE: The truck was towed up to the dealer I bought it from (flatbed to avoid miles). Finally a kind gesture from someone, as I didn't have to pay or ask for the flatbed, the service manager simply told me that was the plan. They got the truck in the air and based on just one day in the shop they found that two of the injectors were installed in the wrong cylinders"

So basically the injector harness(as the injectors are all the same and maybe the guy didn’t realize that)was mismatched to the wrong cylinders. Wow that seems crazy, only because they have been making Hellcat motors in Mexico for how long now?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not exactly. It was engineered to beat it on paper. By an inch here, an inch there, a hundred pounds of towing capacity, etc. And to have huge horsepower. It was all about specs, not actual performance. The problem with that is that performance vehicles need to perform in the real world, not just on paper. I think we're getting closer to declaring the TRX a paper tiger ...

Yes true and I was just being facetious LOL. But we can see how they copied the Raptor and attempts were made to improve or build on each part of it. It was so blatantly done. But as you said, will this system perform and be durable in the real world. Remains to be seen.

STiago1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RAM just stabbed themselves to death with this, the v8 itself is the problem there too heavy like 'terex' heavy and rest of the truck is a budget ram 1500 combine this two - you get loud v8 sound for 95k + a ram 1500 with all its inherent problems. Proves there was no R&D into this, a bunch of wacko's decided to make an off road truck, the biggest loser in this is not FCA or stella-antis but the customers who pay outta their ass to buy this truck. Its still a dodge and remains true to its DNA as unreliable shit box

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Even though I'm currently waiting for a brand new transmission for my 2019 Raptor since 2-9-21 I'm still glad I purchased a Ford.

I really do believe they have the best quality vehicles as far as trucks go and maybe I'm wrong but I never had any real issues with my 2000 F150 or my 2014.

And I really love the power and design of the Gen2.

Anything manufactured today can have defects but the Raptor has a proven design and proved itself as a worthy off road vehicle.

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RAM just stabbed themselves to death with this, the v8 itself is the problem there too heavy like 'terex' heavy and rest of the truck is a budget ram 1500 combine this two - you get loud v8 sound for 95k + a ram 1500 with all its inherent problems. Proves there was no R&D into this, a bunch of wacko's decided to make an off road truck, the biggest loser in this is not FCA or stella-antis but the customers who pay outta their ass to buy this truck. Its still a dodge and remains true to its DNA as unreliable shit box

FCA (Stellantis) is really good at throwing huge HP in their cars / SUV and now trucks. Look at the Challenger Hellcat, when that came out I think the challenger platform was already 7 years old, now going on 13 years. Is it really really good at straight line quarter mile, hell yes, can it compete with a ZL1 on the twisties, hell no. To their credit, they've milked that platform to death by pretty much throwing more HP at it every couple of years - what are we on, the third Hellcat Challenger variant now?

Last edited: